Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Carter Finally Gets It by Brett Crawford

Carter Finally Gets It
By Brent Crawford
2010, Hyperion, 320 pages



Meet Will Carter, but feel free to call him Carter.  (Yes, he knows it’s a lazy nickname, but he didn’t have much say in the matter.)

Here are five things you should know about him:

1. He has a stuttering problem, particularly around boobs and belly buttons.

2. He battles Attention Deficit Disorder every minute of every day…unless he gets distracted. 

3. He’s a virgin, mostly because he’s no good at talking to girls (see number 1).

4. He’s about to start high school.

5. He’s totally not ready.

Join Carter for his freshman year, where he’ll search for sex, love, and acceptance anywhere he can find it. In the process, he’ll almost kill a trombone player, face off against his greatest nemesis, get caught up in a messy love triangle, suffer a lot of blood loss, narrowly escape death, run from the cops (not once, but twice), meet his match in the form of a curvy drill teamer, and surprise everyone, including himself.

— Amazon.com description

Oh god, I know, two boy books in a row? Who am I right now?

Anyway, I think it's good for girls to read things from a boy's perspective now and again. They're insecure too! They don't know how to talk to you either! It's all proof. A boy wrote this book, so it's gotta be legit. Right? Well, I'll assume so. In which case, this information would have been helpful during my high school years. The amount they think about boobs, though, is a little alarming...

This is a great debut novel from Crawford. He's got the voice down, with a casual and funny writing style that had me laughing out loud. Liked it, but didn't love it. I'm glad I tried something a little less my style, and I'll look out for Crawford's next book when the time comes, but not a book I'd write home about or mark passages to reread.

Moral of the story: So this is what I think Carter finally gets, though it takes a jillion screwups to get there:

1) Don't do things because you think it will make you cool; do them because you're really interested in them.
2) Same as above, just replace "things" with "girls."

Very John Hughes–esque. Though I am SO ready for another girly book. Preferably with, like, a pink sparkly cover or something.

Bonus: Love the back-of-the-book warning:




You might also like:
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (another boy narrator...my fave of John Green's books because it is not one that is secretly about DEATH. Hate.)

Anna Reads young adult book blog

1 comment:

  1. we totally are meant to be best friends because i just saw this at the library yesterday and got it! on another note, do not hate on john green.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...