Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"Waiting On" Wednesday #3


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine to shine a spotlight on upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

When the Stars Go Blue
By Caridad Ferrer
St. Martin's Griffin, released November 23, 2010

A dancer driven to succeed.

A musical prodigy attempting to escape his past.

The summer they share.

And the moment it all goes wrong.

Dance is Soledad Reyes’s life. About to graduate from Miami’s Biscayne High School for the Performing Arts, she plans on spending her last summer at home teaching in a dance studio, saving money, and eventually auditioning for dance companies. That is, until fate intervenes in the form of fellow student Jonathan Crandall who has what sounds like an outrageous proposition: Forget teaching. Why not spend the summer performing in the intense environment of the competitive drum and bugle corps? The corps is going to be performing Carmen, and the opportunity to portray the character of the sultry gypsy proves too tempting for Soledad to pass up, as well as the opportunity to spend more time with Jonathan, who intrigues her in a way no boy ever has before.        
But in an uncanny echo of the story they perform every evening, an unexpected competitor for Soledad's affections appears: Taz, a member of an all-star Spanish soccer team. One explosive encounter later Soledad finds not only her relationship with Jonathan threatened, but her entire future as a professional dancer.


— Amazon.com description

Alyson Noël calls it "delicious from beginning to end," and Jennifer Echols points out there's "two hot guys in love with one driven dancer." C'mon guys, what more do you need to know? Yeah, okay, maybe it sounds a little like a story that's been told before in dance movie after dance movie, but HELLO do you not love dance movies!? And this story sounds...spicy. Miami! Caliente! Can't wait.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

19 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome! I love dance movies!!! Adding it to my TBR pile, thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me sold at "delicious" and chomping at the bit with "two hot guys" LOL sounds like a great book and It's going on my TBR for sure. Thans for a great WOW recommend. I'm a new follower

    Here's my WOW choice for the week

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds lovely...great cover!

    Here's mine:

    http://chasingstardust.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/waiting-on-wednesday-oct-13/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm.. this one sounds interesting. Great pick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh, sounds like a good one. I'll be adding it to my list. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. psst Anna.. are you the same annreadsbooks? I saw that the author Morgan Matson mentioned an annareadsbooks on her facebook -- but wasn't sure if that was you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's me! I'm on her facebook? AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh. This sounds so good! I haven't heard of this before. Putting it on my TBR list. Thanks. Very good and interesting choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! must get your playlists now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really really like this cover. Really. Like. Oh and it comes out in NOV.! Sweeeeet! Have not heard of this one yet! great pick!

    New follower!


    Come check out my WoW :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this one directly establishes a connection to the Song When the stars go blue to me:)

    "Dancin' where the stars go blue
    Dancin' where the evening fell
    Dancin' in your wooden shoes"


    "Where do you go when you're lonely
    Where do you go when you're blue
    Where do you go when you're lonely
    I'll follow you
    When the stars go blue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is a great new tile for me and I am loving the sound of it. Definitely on for the wish list

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love dance movies! That sounds like a great story, and the cover is beautiful.

    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh I've never heard of this one. I'm glad you shared it -- it's now in my tbr! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's something so cool with a book about dance that can really sing to a reader. They have a lyrical way about them ... and I really hope this one fits into the pattern. Isn't the cover beautiful. High hopes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't heard about this. So cool! Good to have a POC book.
    Alison Can Read

    ReplyDelete
  17. maybe it sounds a little like a story that's been told before in dance movie after dance movie, but HELLO do you not love dance movies!?

    Heh-- well, considering that the story itself is a contemporary retelling of the opera/ballet Carmen, that's not so much a surprise. ;-) If you or any of your readers would like to get a sneak peek at Chapter 1 or learn a little bit more about the background of Carmen, I have a page for it over on my website.

    Thanks so much for picking STARS for your WAITING ON WEDNESDAY.

    (And yeah, I picked the title as an homage to the song. LOVE IT!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...