Monday, November 15, 2010

Fire by Kristin Cashore

Fire
By Kristin Cashore
October 5, 2009
Dial, 480 pages



She is the last of her kind... It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. In King City, the young King Nash is clinging to the throne, while rebel lords in the north and south build armies to unseat him. War is coming. And the mountains and forest are filled with spies and thieves. This is where Fire lives, a girl whose beauty is impossibly irresistible and who can control the minds of everyone around her.

Exquisitely romantic, this companion to the highly praised Graceling has an entirely new cast of characters, save for one person who plays a pivotal role in both books. You don't need to have read Graceling to love Fire. But if you haven't, you'll be dying to read it next.


— Amazon.com description

Fantasy worlds, if they're written well, can really push the limits of your imagination. I read quite a few of them in my middle school years, which means my head was always in the clouds (I blame my dad for giving me a copy of The Hobbit). I loved Fire and its companion novel, Graceling, because they took me back to that time and gave my cruddy ole grown-up imagination a much-needed kick in the pants.

These two books take place in the same world, but you don't need to read them as a series. I read Graceling sooooo long ago that I forgot almost everything, but this book has its own characters, its own kingdom and its own story to tell, so I wasn't lost a bit.

It took me longer than I anticipated to get into Fire, considering how quickly I devoured Graceling. Perhaps the larger cast of characters was to blame—it took some time to feel an emotional connection to anyone.

But as soon as Fire meets Prince Brigan and a hate-you-love-you romance picks up, I was sold. AS ALWAYS. I swear, I really can read a book that doesn't involve romance.

Also worth noting: This book was a little more, erm, adult than Graceling, but not like...inappropriately or anything. Just probably best for older teens.

Cashore writes really kick-ass heroines. These are strong, troubled, brave girls, which are harder to find in YA lit than you'd think! I can't wait for more and, luckily, I won't have to. Another "companion book" (this one picking up a few years after Graceling and involving the same characters) is in the works. Sweet!

If you like this book, you might also like: The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (Love this series!)

Anna Reads young adult book blog

9 comments:

  1. ah, yeah, she does write kick-arse heroines.

    i was bored in this one but kept going and - BAM - enter Brigand and suddenly I am bored no more... :)

    i'll have to check out the thief, have somehow never read it.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Fire or Graceling but the whole fantasy world/kick-ass heroine angle sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it! Some of the more "girly" parts I could have done without, but overall I enjoyed both books. Katsa and Po are my favorite though :)

    Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Graceling & I need to read it. I skipped over this review though in case it gave away spoilers for Graceling (sorry lol).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I'm so glad you liked Fire! I loved Graceling, and Fire was just as good for me :) Great review, Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Graceling is one of the group reads for the Goodread's College Students group this month! I need to get a hold of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Graceling and Fire are two of my all time favorites. I'm glad you liked it, Fire is certainly fierce and so is Katya. I loved the world Kristen Created, and props for mentioning Megan Whalen Turner :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book more than even Graceling which I seem to be in the minority for. There was just something about it that worked even better for me. Also, I too can read books without a romance involved but most of the time I don't want to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! So, so good. Graceling was one of my most favorites of last year and I loved Fire just as much. Cashore's character are written so vividly, you can picture every single detail!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...