Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Lying Game by Sara Shepard

Photobucket

The Lying Game
By Sara Shepard
December 7, 2010
HarperTeen, 320 pages


I had a life anyone would kill for.

Then someone did.

The worst part of being dead is that there’s nothing left to live for. No more kisses. No more secrets. No more gossip. It’s enough to kill a girl all over again. But I’m about to get something no one else does—an encore performance, thanks to Emma, the long-lost twin sister I never even got to meet.

Now Emma’s desperate to know what happened to me. And the only way to figure it out is to be me—to slip into my old life and piece it all together. But can she laugh at inside jokes with my best friends? Convince my boyfriend she’s the girl he fell in love with? Pretend to be a happy, carefree daughter when she hugs my parents good night? And can she keep up the charade, even after she realizes my murderer is watching her every move?

From Sara Shepard, the #1
New York Times bestselling author of the Pretty Little Liars books, comes a riveting new series about secrets, lies, and killer consequences.

Let the lying game begin.


— Amazon.com description

The Lying Game is the first book of Shepard's that I've read, but I watch the Pretty Little Liars TV show like it's crack and I'm an addict. Do you guys not LOVE that show? I do not get how they have me rooting for these LIARS—especially the one trying to get with her English teacher—but they do!

This new series is sure to appeal to teen girls and fans of the books and TV show, but the narrative style was tricky for me to navigate. The story is told from Sutton's point of view, but as a ghost who is following Emma. It took me a few chapters to really grasp this setup, which meant it took some time to get into the book. Also: How can Emma possibly pose as her dead twin sister she never knew and get away with it that easily? I wish there had been a few more hiccups along the way for her to make it seem more plausible.

I think what Shepard does best is tackle the mean girl situation. The way she described the pranks these teens pulled on one another is really...creepy. Such detail, such nastiness. It made me uncomfortable, and it took me back to being bullied, which I think was her goal. She really succeeds in making it perfectly clear that pranks can quickly escalate and get out of control, that karma's a bitch when it comes to bullying and that pranking one another destroys lives and friendships. SO TRUE. Still, I do fear some 15-year-old brat somewhere is going to read this and start her own nasty version of the Lying Game.

Despite my problems with the book, I was still left wishing the next installment in the series was already out so I could find out what happens next. I love a good murder mystery, and it was an easy read to tear through. I think Shepard's books are probably as addicting as the TV shows they're based on. Which is double good news, because there's ALREADY a TV show in the works for the series! Can you believe that? You know I'll tune in.

If you like this book, you might also... Want to watch Mean Girls the movie! This book made me want to bust out my DVD and watch some Regina George knock-downs. It never gets old. Stop trying to make fetch happen, guys.

Special thanks to HarperTeen and NetGalley for sending me my copy of this book.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

9 comments:

  1. This book sounds so interesting! I love a good murder mystery and I like trying to solve it before the book does ;) I haven't watched the TV show, but I've heard people talking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to finally read this after I finish my current book. This sounds very similar to PLL (and yes, the show is definitely crack) so I'm anxious to see the differences if there are any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so intrigued and confused at the same time! Where did the long lost twin sister come from? Do the parents know that the first sister is dead? How is no one catching on to the fact that someone is DEAD? I need to read this book...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read PLL either, but I watch that show like it's crack!! Seriously, I love it! Can't wait til the new season starts again. It was definitely a good summer filler.

    I might need to check out this book too. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I think I might try her Pretty Little Liars series first. Although I am not a huge fan of the all mean girls stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heck yeah! I love Sara Shepard's writing, and I'm dying to try this one! Great review, Anna! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Need to get this one! I love PLL (the show) so I want to pick this one up. I got to hear Sara read at the Brooklyn Book Fest. She is all sorts of adorableness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous review Anna, I tore through this one as well. I thought the mystery was really well done, despite what you mentioned about her assuming Sutton's life with relatively little trouble. I'm really looking forward to reading book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fabulous review! You nailed the creepiness of the pranks so well. They were terrifying, truly. She really did set up quite a dark little world. Though I'm with you, I think it would have been a bit more likely that there were hiccups along the way for Emma.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...