Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Anna's Best Books of 2010

My pal Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner came up with this end-of-the-year book blogger survey, and I thought I'd jump in!

PhotobucketBest Book of 2010

In terms of books I keep going back to and thinking, "Man, that book was ALL THAT" (yes, my internal dialogue is stuck in the '90s), I'd say Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson because it had everything I look for in a good book.


PhotobucketWorst Book of 2010

Okay, so if anyone in my real-life book club reads this...I'm so sorry. BUT...my answer is: Anything my book club read. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? Freaky. That book about Charles Manson? Who wants to read that before bed? Gross.


PhotobucketMost Disappointing Book of 2010

I love me some Hunger Games, but I have to say Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins disappointed me. I see the point of the ending, but I refuse to accept it. The last few chapters were just too heartbreaking.


PhotobucketMost Surprising (in a good way!) Book of 2010

As someone who is really wary of reading books told from the male point of view, I feel like I really embraced it this year. And The Cardturner by Louis Sachar was the best surprise of them all. Playing bridge is cool! Who knew?


PhotobucketMost-Recommended-to-Others book of 2010

If you don't know that my answer is obviously the Jessica Darling series by Megan McCafferty, it's not that you don't REALLY know me...it's more that I haven't sunk my peer pressure talons into you yet. Just you wait.


PhotobucketBest Series You Discovered in 2010 / Book You Can't Believe You Waited Until 2010 to Read

Let's discuss how The Hunger Games was sitting on my husband's book shelf for a year before I thought to pick it up. A YEAR! What was I doing with my life?


PhotobucketFavorite New Authors Discovered in 2010

Lauren Oliver, hands down. I fell for Before I Fall and swooned over my sneak peek of Delirium. She's on my auto-buy list now. I love her so.


PhotobucketMost Hilarious Read of 2010

A Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriaty had me laughing out loud in a sort of creepy way. It was that funny to me.


PhotobucketMost Thrilling, Unputdownable Book of 2010

If you haven't read The Body Finder yet, you should. Just don't read it at night. The scenes in the woods? THRILLING, but scary as all get out.


PhotobucketFavorite Cover of a Book You Read in 2010

It didn't come out this year, but I read it this year, so it counts. Sweethearts by Sara Zarr has the simplest, smartest, most perfect and beautiful cover I've seen in a long time.


PhotobucketMost Memorable Character in 2010

Katniss Everdeen from Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games series. A female lead with that amount of strength? Unforgettable!


PhotobucketMost Beautifully Written Book of 2010

Um. Oh. Well...I'm stumped on this one. Can I say Delirium by Lauren Oliver even though it comes out next year? If so, then that. Final answer.


PhotobucketBook That Had the Greatest Impact on You in 2010

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler and A Map of the Known World by Lisa Ann Sandell. I used to have such a hard time reading books about death. In fact, I outright refused to. Then I read these books, and I was swept away. Completely changed my mind and opened me up to so many moving reads.



Stay tuned for the Part 2: Anna's Best of Blogging 2010, which I'll post Thursday!

Anna Reads young adult book blog

22 comments:

  1. I LOVED Amy and Roger's Epic Detour. It was so adorable. Twenty Boy Summer was absolutely brilliant - I can't wait to read Fixing Delilah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great picks I love Amy & Rogers Epic Detour and discovered The Hunger Games this year as well. 2010 has been filled with lots of amazing books :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally, completely agree with Lauren Oliver. I'm kind of a fangirl of hers. haha

    And I lovelovelove the Jessica Darling series too! Great picks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for the Jaclyn Moriarty mention! I feel like I never see her books talked about very much and a couple of them are faves of mine :D Twenty Boy Summer was really well-written, love the symbolism in that one. I haven't read Amy and Roger's Epic Detour yet but I've heard lots of excellent things about it so it's on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are some excellent picks in here. The ones I haven't read yet definitely need to go on my special peer pressure wish list because you have very good taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm the only one that couldn't get into Before I Fall. That said, I think Lauren Oliver's Delirium was incredible!

    Oh, and I rather liked Mockingjay, but I otherwise looooove your choices! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome list Anna! I have typed mine up, but haven't posted it yet. Be on the look out for it! You may see some of your books on my list ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved The Body Finder - def not a book to read by yourself at night. I have never heard of Sweethearts but the cover is super cute. You picked some great books for 2010!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fantastic list! I've wanted to read quite a few of these, and I just finished my first Megan McCafferty.

    -Linds, bibliophile brouhaha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this list Anna! I absolutely adored Delirium as well, it was just a stunning read. And I need to read The Body Finder, if you say it's unputdownable, I want it immediately! I've read a string of ones that have just been ok, and need something fabulous so I'll have to pick that one up:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww I loved Girl With the Dragon Tattoo! Definitely not a fuzzy feeling before bed kind of book though lol. So many of these are getting bumped up on my list thanks to what you had to say! Ahh and i'm hoping I get to Sloppy Firsts before 2011. If not, I'll be devouring that series in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm totally agreeing with you on The Body Finder and I love the hunger games. I need to read some of the others on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great answers!! Body Finder was amazing! Tell me more about "Sloppy Firsts"

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Year of Secret Assignments is such a cute book. Of course, in a funny way. Great choices! :]

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, yeah, with the jaclyn moriarty love. she's my all time favourite author!

    can't wait to read amy and roger. i've done the pre-order paperback thing. sigh. it comes out in JUNE 2011. kinda regretting that...

    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. 20 Boy Summer is a must read; a beautful read, both touching & real---

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved reading your list!

    I really need to read The Hunger Games trilogy now that Mockingjay is out.

    (Oh, and I'm totally stuck in 90s slang too)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to do this!! I love Amy & Roger too. :D Also, the Cardturner was a big surprise for me too, in such a pleasant way. Glad to see it make someone else's list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is your true life friend speaking -- also LOVED The Cardturner. We would both like a book about bridge written by a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just got a notice that Epic Detour is on its way to me. Happy day!

    Here's my Best Of list: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/12/sunday-salon-best-of-2010-in-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Agree with Year of Secret Assignments! Have you read Dreaming of Amelia/Ghosts of Ashbury High (keep forgetting what it's called where)? Amazing, even better than YOSA.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...