Friday, December 17, 2010

Book Blogger Hop & Follow Friday 10

It's time for Book Blogger Hop and Follow Friday.

Book Blogger Hop

This week’s Hop question is: What do you consider the most important in a story: the plot or the characters?

To me, plot is essential. I can like a character, but if she never grows or does something with herself, what's the point? And if I dislike a character but see her change throughout the course of a book, I'm usually pretty satisfied at the end. (See: The Duff) So maybe it's a combo of both: Characters who DO something, or characters I don't like who grow to become someone I do like.

And, Follow Friday is asking: What did you study in college, or are currently studying, and did it lead to your current 9 to 5 or are you doing something totally different?

I studied journalism, and though I'm no longer a girl reporter (yes, I had to wear a fireman suit like Bridget Jones for one piece), you bet I'm still using what I learned in school!

Today is actually my last day in my dream job, where I have been the copy editor for a major website. I've used the skills I learned in journ school on a daily basis since I graduated, and though I'm moving on to a new job, I'll still be writing and researching daily.

Wish me luck today as I start a new chapter. Thanks for stopping by!

PS: I'm featured today on Melissa's blog I Swim for Oceans. Check it out!

Anna Reads young adult book blog

19 comments:

  1. Oh, how interesting, I'm totally a character type of girl. I don't care if the plot is fan-freaking-tastically original, if the character doesn't make me either want to be him/her or want to date him/her, or go, oh man, he/she is me and I am him/her, then the book falls flat with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by to say Hi! I choose plot as well, but went back and forth about seventeen times. By the end of the hop I might change my mind again… Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Journalism how exciting! That Bridget Jones bit made laugh so hard! Good luck :)

    Here's my Blog Hop & Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yayyy good luck in your new adventure...I majored in editorial journalism, too ;) it's quite the major!

    PS - Your friday fix feature is up. It's almost like you're famous or something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I'm a new follower here. Just found you through Follow Friday. :-)

    If you'd like to check out my blog, you can do so here: http://www.bookscompleteme.com/2010/12/follow-my-book-blog-friday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anna,
    Great answers on the Friday Fix!
    I lean toward characters on the hop question.
    Susan from ReadingWorld.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you completely!

    And you pretty much ARE famous if you're on the Friday Fix today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so agree with that there could be no other way of writing a good book! I found you on Melissa's Blog Love your Blog I'm a follower now!

    Jessica’s Vision

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck at your new job Anna! Sorry you're having to leave your dream job but I hope this new one turns out to be even better:) Off to read your answers on Melissa's blog! Have a good weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I'm a new follower, stopping by from Follow Friday! Have a great weekend!
    Kristy @ Dreaming By Day

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, a good plot is important! I'm already a follower, just hopping by! My hop is at Coffee Table Press

    ReplyDelete
  12. Exactly! If the character never does anything, I can only ask, Why? Ultimately I think the characters AND plot need to connect somehow, and if the character does nothing then I really can't figure out the point.

    Also, good luck with the new job! :]

    ReplyDelete
  13. Old follower hopping by :) I saw your interview on Melissa's site. Very funny!

    I think growth and change in a character is part of why I like YA so much. YA characters are often in transition and they end the book as someone very different from when the book started.

    Best wishes on your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's funny you referenced The Duff in your answer, because I was totally thinking of Before I Fall when I wrote my answer to this week's question, haha!

    I'm sad my one big connection to the great & powerful O is moving on - BUT I am ecstatic for the adventure that lies ahead for you!! I won't wish you good luck, b/c you don't need it.. you'll KICK ASS at anything you do ;-)

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a plot person too. We seem to be in the minority. Good luck in your new job - sounds exciting! Hopefully you get some time off before starting?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi stopping by to wish you a Happy weekend. I have to say both are important to a book. Good Luck with your new job. and Merry Xmas.

    My Follow Friday/Book Blogger Hop

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anna! Just stopping by to say hi. Best of luck with the new job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This might be the best Book Blogger Hop question I've seen to date.

    So what's the answer? Plot! Hop over to my blog and let me tell you how a good plot rescued bad characters from bad book oblivion.

    Howard Sherman
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hopping by from the blog hop.

    Lots of good answers to this week's tough question.

    Stop by my blog to see my answer to this week's question.

    Also check out a design site I found...pretty neat home decorating ideas...it is in the right side panel on my blog.

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...