Monday, December 27, 2010

Prom Nights from Hell

Prom Nights from Hell
Stories by Stephenie Meyer, Kim Harrison, Meg Cabot, Lauren Myracle, Michele Jaffe
April 10, 2007
HarperTeen, 304 pages


In this exciting collection, bestselling authors Meg Cabot (How to Be Popular), Kim Harrison (A Fistful of Charms), Michele Jaffe (Bad Kitty), Stephenie Meyer (Twilight), and Lauren Myracle (ttyl) take bad prom nights to a whole new level—a paranormally bad level. Wardrobe malfunctions and two left feet don't hold a candle to discovering your date is the Grim Reaper—and he isn't here to tell you how hot you look.

From angels fighting demons to a creepy take on getting what you wish for, these five stories will entertain better than any DJ in a bad tux. No corsage or limo rental necessary. Just good, scary fun.


— Amazon.com description

This wasn't my favorite collection (one review on Amazon called it "uneven," and I'd have to agree), but the tales of paranormal prom nights were amusing overall.

The highlight for me was "The Exterminator's Daughter," a Meg Cabot tale about a young vamp fighter. The "never read anything by Meg that I didn't love" hot streak continues! It was cute and funny, and I think that woman's brain is a story factory/gold mine. I'd like her to be my friend, please.

"The Corsage" by Lauren Myracle was fittingly creepy and encouraged me to look up more of her work. Fans of the Madison Avery books by Kim Harrison will probably get a kick out the "prequel" included here, but this and the remaining stories seemed too much like book previews to really catch my attention as standalone stories.

If you like this book, you might also like: Love Is Hell, a collection I enjoyed a bit more (stories by Scott Westerfield, Melissa Marr, Justine Larbalestier, Gabrielle Zevin and Laurie Faria Stolarz) because the stories seemed to stand stronger by themselves.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

5 comments:

  1. Love Meg Cabot. Not a big fan of anthologies but it might be worth it just for Cabot's story. Good review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always a little iffy about books like these b/c I'm worried I'll want more than what they give me. Nice to have the heads up on this one, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Collections of stories tend to make me a little wary because I want to feel fulfilled by one story, if that makes sense. I like your take on this though! Great review, Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I've never even heard of this book but there are so many great authors involved! I sometimes enjoy anthologies or collections, but I agree, they often feel like previews for upcoming books, and I wish they could stand alone a bit more. I do enjoy Meg Cabot though, so maybe I'll give it a try just for her. Lovely review Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can never get into anthologies, either. Sometimes I am only interested in one or two authors, and the writing is so-so. Makes it fee just like you said - uneven. Glad you liked the Meg Cabot story, though.

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...