Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"Waiting On" Wednesday 11


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine to shine a spotlight on upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

The Dark and Hollow Places
(Forest of Hands and Teeth, Book 3)
By Carrie Ryan
384 pages
Delacorte Books for Young Readers
To be released March 22, 2011

There are many things that Annah would like to forget: the look on her sister's face when she and Elias left her behind in the Forest of Hands and Teeth, her first glimpse of the horde as they found their way to the Dark City, the sear of the barbed wire that would scar her for life. But most of all, Annah would like to forget the morning Elias left her for the Recruiters.

Annah's world stopped that day and she's been waiting for him to come home ever since. Without him, her life doesn't feel much different from that of the dead that roam the wasted city around her. Then she meets Catcher and everything feels alive again.

Except, Catcher has his own secrets—dark, terrifying truths that link him to a past Annah's longed to forget, and to a future too deadly to consider. And now it's up to Annah—can she continue to live in a world drenched in the blood of the living? Or is death the only escape from the Return's destruction?


— Amazon.com description

Yes, it's a zombie book. But you almost forget it as you get lost in the thrill of Carrie Ryan's writing. Her action sequences and tension are masterful, and the post-apocalyptic/Pilgrim-esque world she's created feels original. Definitely give this series a shot...assuming you can get past some flesh-eating gore. I mean, it is a zombie book.

We got Gabry's full story in the book 2, The Dead-Tossed Waves, so now it's time to see what became of her twin sister, Annah. Catcher was one of my favorite characters in the last book, and I can't wait to hear more of his story.

What book are you waiting on this Wednesday?

Anna Reads young adult book blog

16 comments:

  1. This is one series I have been meaning to read. I have heard the second book is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never actually read a zombie book, maybe this is the place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yayay! I love that cover so much! I still haven't read TDTW, but it's on my TBR pile. FOHT was so freaking good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't read the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Gahhh sinful, right? I was so turned off zombies by Generation Dead that I just couldn't do it...I definitely need to now! LOVE the sounds and look of this one :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to read this series, but Dead Tossed Waves grabs my attention every time I see the cover of that book! I may need to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of these books, but that cover is STUNNING. Perhaps I should stop thinking about Zombieland (DOUBLE TAP!) anytime I think of zombies and realize that they can be scary, too. I might need to get this, Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not read any of the books in this series. I'm not sure I can handle flesh-eating gore (I'm a bit of a pansy) but I may give it a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to read this series. Initially the zombie element put me off, but everyone says it's fabulous so I need to get over it:) Great pick Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok I really need to read the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy crap I didn't even know there was going to be a third one. I guess I should read The Dead Tossed Waves, huh? Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I looove this cover! It's definitely my favorite so far. I wasn't too big a fan of the first book, but I enjoyed The Dead Tossed Waves and it got me excited to read more of the story. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I ended up hating the first book, but I really do love her titles and covers. And if you're a zombie fan I recommend The Enemy by Charlie Higson. I just read that one and really liked it. Best zombie book I've read.

    Attack of the Book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YES on this one! I love the Forest of Hands and Teeth, but haven't gotten around to the second book just yet - guess I better get a move on!

    -Linds, bibliophile brouhaha

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard of this author, but the cover is gorgeous- and intense!

    ReplyDelete
  15. She makes zombies seem SO SCARY! When she talks about their hands reaching through the fence and the constant moans *shivers* I get goosebumps! Her writing is fabulous and I cannot wait for this book to be released. And the cover is amazing!

    I can't decide between Catcher and Elias... I think I am leaning more towards Elias though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm eagerly anticipating this one as well! I've enjoyed this series a good deal and thought the second book was better than the first. I'm hopeful that trend will continue with the third.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...