Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers

Fall for Anything
By Courtney Summers
December 21, 2010
St. Martin's Griffin, 224 pages


From the author of Cracked Up to Be and Some Girls Are comes a gripping story about one girl’s search for clues into the mysterious death of her father.

When Eddie Reeves’s father commits suicide her life is consumed by the nagging question of why? Why when he was a legendary photographer and a brilliant teacher? Why when he seemed to find inspiration in everything he saw? And, most important, why when he had a daughter who loved him more than anyone else in the world? When she meets Culler Evans, a former student of her father’s and a photographer himself, an instant and dangerous attraction begins. Culler seems to know more about her father than she does and could possibly hold the key to the mystery surrounding his death. But Eddie’s vulnerability has weakened her and Culler Evans is getting too close. Her need for the truth keeps her hanging on...but are some questions better left unanswered?


— Amazon.com description

This book is hauntingly sad—so much so that it initially put me off. You can feel Eddie's grief and desperation for answers about her father's suicide on every page.

That sadness is beautifully written, and it got me hooked once I was in the mood to embrace it. It's a real tell-it-as-it-is look at the grief process.

"Forget sappy messages about overcoming; I want ones that say NOW YOU'LL BE A LESSER PERSON THAN YOU WERE or WE CANNOT POSSIBLY UNDERSTAND or I CAN UNDERSTAND BECAUSE SOMEONE I KNOW DIED TOO or maybe something about how grief can make your skin feel sore and bruised and electric because that's how my skin has felt ever since."

The twisted treasure hunt Eddie sets off on keeps the novel moving quickly, and it's nicely reminiscent of the pleasingly morbid (if that's possible?) 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher or 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson.

Eddie's interactions and text messages with Milo throughout were a real treat, and the title...wow. Once you get to the end of the book, you will see that it was the perfect pick.

Many thanks to St. Martin's Press for providing me with a review copy of this book.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

16 comments:

  1. Okay so really, I've been wanting to read this book for a while now. Because I HAVE dealt with the grief of a dad dying (probably not in so gruesome a matter, but it applies). I like that tell-it-as-it-is process. When someone close to you dies, you don't want to hear that they're in a better place (even if they are), or that they're not suffering anymore, or that we'll get over it with time. Screw all the sentiments people feel the need to tell you when someone dies. Really. They don't help. You're not going to know how to respond to that besides nod your head.

    I already knew I wanted to read this book. But now that I've read your review, especially because of the quote you picked? I want to read it even more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this book! And I love the quote you chose-it was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh, Courtney Summers is at the top of my list b/c so many others are just in LOVE with her, but that book just sounds so darn SAD! I think your 13 Reasons Why connection pushed me over the edge though. That book was amazing! Now I'm really, really going to FINally read Fall for Anything.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Books that make me cry always get good ratings with me and this one made me cry bunches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well said, Anna. This book was emotional for me too. Having gone through the process of grief in losing a parent, I totally understood the rawness of Eddie's reality. Some parts may have been too blunt for those who can't comprehend what that emptiness feels like, but I totally got it. And I agree - the title was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read one of Courtney's books, Some Girls Are, but that was one of the most raw and realistic books I've ever read. I'm dying to read this now. Great review, Anna! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you I tend to shy away from books that are going to make me depressed but this sounds really good. I also really love the cover. Thanks for a great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really great review - I've read many for this book, but yours really made me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quote you pulled out was one of my favorites from the book. It's so raw and real. Fall for Anything is the only book I've read by Summers, but I must read others. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard wonderful things about this book, and I cannot wait for it to be released! You're lucky you received a review copy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This definitely sounds like one of those books you have to be in a certain mood for!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely loved this book and you described it perfectly: "The twisted treasure hunt Eddie sets off on keeps the novel moving quickly, and it's nicely reminiscent of the pleasingly morbid (if that's possible?) 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher or 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson." Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even though I didn't like Thirteen Reasons Why, this sounds really interesting. I'm definitely putting it on my list. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked how Culler added something different to this story. It contributed a fresh twist.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Anna. I love your words. I think this is a fantastic review. One day, I WILL GET TO THIS BOOK! In the mean time, I will continue to read your reviews about all the books that I should be reading at this very second in time. And I will love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is next on my TBR list! Really excited for it, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...