Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Top 10 Books I Wish I'd Read as a Kid

I'm joining in on Top 10 Tuesday at The Broke and the Bookish again. This week's topic: Top 10 Books I Wish I'd Read as a Kid. My list is a little all over the place, from little kids' books to middle-grade reads. Here goes:

Where the Wild Things Are Maurice Sendak1. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

When the movie came out, I was reminded that I'd NEVER read this. It seems like a beloved classic from childhood to so many people, so this makes me sad.


Alice in Wonderland Lewis Carroll2. Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

The closest I ever got to reading this was my father's constant quoting of this line:

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."


Nancy Drew3. Nancy Drew books by Carolyn Keene

Okay, I wish I'd read them. But forget Nancy Drew—let's talk about Trixie Belden! I inherited my mother's stash of old Trixie Belden books, and I reread them all at least five times each. The Bob-Whites of the Glen were my heroes.


The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg4. The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg

My husband's family was shocked this Christmas to realize I'd never read this as a little girl. Who knew it was a must-read?


Sweet Valley High by Francine Pascal5. Sweet Valley High books by Francine Pascal

I read SO many Sweet Valley Twins books. And, as much as I loved me some Jessica and Elizabeth, I was kind of over them (and Lila Fowler) by the time I would have graduated to the older series. Looking back, I wish I'd read more of them!


Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis6. Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

The Chronic-WHAT-cles of Narnia! Saw the first movie, but never read the books. That Prince Caspian sure looks hot in those ads though...


The Jungle Book Rudyard Kipling7. The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

Saw the movie, but never read the book. And, looking back, that movie is pretty darn racist, soooooo let's hope the book isn't?


Dr. Seuss book cover8. Any Dr. Seuss book

My mom wouldn't let us read them. She hasn't really explained why. Conspiracy?


Lord of the Flies William Golding9. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Everyone read this in middle or high school except me. It's still on my Amazon Wish List.


10. Anything appropriate for my age: I was that kid in fourth grade who brought giant, thick classics (Dickens was a particular favorite) into school to read underneath her desk during school. I was a little to reading advanced for my age. Could this be the subconscious reason I read YA books as an adult? I certainly didn't read YA as an actual YA!

Well, I suppose it's never too late—I might have to read some of these now. Is that a Sweet Valley High readathon I smell coming on?

Anna Reads young adult book blog

23 comments:

  1. Great list, Anna! I only read a few of those as a child (Chris Van Allsburg was kind of my generation, and I remember our librarian reading every new book of his to us) but like you, I was the 4th grader with the huge "grown up people" books. My teacher in 5th grade called my mom when she found me reading "Candide," lol!
    Anyway, awesome list, and I definitely buy into the reading YA as an adult theory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, don't know what my childhood would've been like without Dr. Seuss!! I loveeeee those books, especially One Fish Two Fish Read Fish Blue Fish and Green Eggs and Ham

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chronicles of Narnia is also on my list! And you have to find out why your mother wouldn't let you read Dr. Suess! haha. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome list! Mine will be going up later today. I'm pretty sure a few on my list will be books that you'd read as a kid, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I love that you just referenced Lazy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had read a lot more kid books too. Some of them include Goosebumps:) Great list!
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes...Chronicles of Narnia...you must must read it! I actually started Nancy Drew and hated it, so I switched to the Mandie Mysteries :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol, I did the same thing! I was reading the collected works of Dostoyevsky in middle school. XD I think it's a big reason I read YA now, because I totally skipped the genre as a teen.

    Almost all of those would be on my list too. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Jungle Book is quite a dark and violent book, which is why I am sure I would have enjoyed it as a child.

    I loved The Cat in the Hat and The Cat in the Hat Comes Back.

    It still surprises me that I never picked up a Nancy Drew book, because I loved detective stories as a child (still do, as a matter of fact).

    ReplyDelete
  10. my parents inexplicably didn't let us read Dr. Seuss either. strange!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you do decide to go on a SVH reading marathon, I am so in! I read them when I was younger and I wish I could remember them. AND, they are releasing a new one called Sweet Valley Confidential. Basically it is the twins 10 years later. I am super excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of the lovely perks of becoming a parent: I can recite Where the Wild Things Are and many Dr. Suess books, which I read as a kid but forgot how much I once loved them. Now as an adult I've been reading The Chronicles of Narnia books with my daughter (how did I miss these are a kid?)and reliving my love for Nancy Drew. AND I've discovered great books that weren't around when I was a kid, like Ella Enchanted, The Princess and The Frog,and The Allie Finkle series (all hail Meg Cabot). Not, of course, that anyone should have kids just for books. It's much easier to just check out the Children's section at the library. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm just jealous that you actually read at all when you were younger! I NEVER read...

    ReplyDelete
  14. here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/top-ten-tuesday-top-10-best-debut-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have quite a few titles in common! I was always trying to read above my age as well but I must admit, I never quite got to Dickens!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where the wild things are?? Polar Express?? You really need to read those -- I'm sure they have them at the library - you could even read them while you are there. But then you might want to go buy them, because they are so good! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never read Lord of the Flies yet either. It never made it on my required reading lists for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  18. *hyperventilating* YOU HAVE NEVER READ NANCY DREW OR SWEET VALLEY HIGH?? These are amongst the beginning of my personal literary cannon. They made me into the freak that I am today! lol

    I did love Sweet Valley Twins so I can forgive a little bit :P

    And Dr. Seuss..I can't believe that! I've seen it on a few people's lists and was shocked. I thought the Suessmiester was like required reading as a child. :P

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear friend,

    I am so, so, sad that you never experienced the wild rumpus as a child. My personal favorite...always and forever.

    ReplyDelete
  20. +JMJ+

    I read lots of Nancy Drew and SVH because I inherited my mother's and aunt's collections. Does it make you feel better when I say you only missed out on a cultural experience and not on literary value? ;-)

    And I didn't read The Lord of the Flies in high school, either, as it was never required. I was going to get my own copy for fun, but I was with a stodgy uncle that day, and he didn't believe it was age appropriate for his precious niece. =P Hmmmm. I hope that wasn't my only window of opportunity for that book . . .

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is Anna's mother. I did NOT ever censor the girls' reading. I just refused to read Dr. S's books to them, finding them insipid. Made no sense to me. They owned them, they could read them themselves. And I thought that Wild Things book looked scary.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was never assigned Lord of the Flies, and I'm one of the few people I know who's never read it. I'm glad to see someone else in the same boat!

    It's a shame you missed out on Where the Wild Things Are, but I think it's one of those that still has an impact, even when you read it as an adult. I love Maurice Sendak more now than I did when I was reading him in first grade.

    ReplyDelete
  23. #10 is so me! Not so much on the classics, but I was always bringing pleasurable reading material to school, and starting in junior high, it was usually inappropriate for my age level. I was big into V.C Andrews back then (probably for the romance and sex). Now, most of the books I read are YA. But then, I think YA is more popular because the books are better than they were 15-20 years ago.

    Also, Lord of the Flies was never required reading in any of my lit classes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...