Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"Waiting On" Wednesday 16



"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine to shine a spotlight on upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.


Dark Mirror
By M.J. Putney
320 pages
St. Martin's Griffin, to be released March 1, 2011

Lady Victoria Mansfield, youngest daughter of the earl and countess of Fairmount, is destined for a charmed life. Soon she will be presented during the London season, where she can choose a mate worthy of her status.

Yet Tory has a shameful secret—a secret so powerful that, if exposed, it could strip her of her position and disgrace her family forever. Tory’s blood is tainted . . . by magic.

When a shocking accident forces Tory to demonstrate her despised skill, the secret she’s fought so hard to hide is revealed for all to see. She is immediately exiled to Lackland Abbey, a reform school for young men and women in her position. There she will learn to suppress her deplorable talents and maybe, if she’s one of the lucky ones, be able to return to society.

But Tory’s life is about to change forever. All that she’s ever known or considered important will be challenged. What lies ahead is only the beginning of a strange and wonderful journey into a world where destiny and magic come together, where true love and friendship find her, and where courage and strength of character are the only things that determine a young girl’s worth.


— Amazon.com description

Historical AND paranormal? Two of my favorites in one! This author, Mary Jo Putney, is a popular romance author going by a different name here (if my research holds up, anyway). I've never read her work, but I love to see veteran authors taking on YA works. I'll have to give it a go in March!

Plus, the cover has a quote from Rachel Hawthorne, who writes the most delicious fluff, so I'll trust her opinion on this one.

What book are you waiting on this Wednesday?

Anna Reads young adult book blog

18 comments:

  1. haha you're the second person who selected this book this week! I have to admit, it is a very interesting pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pick !! I see that you're reading Shadow Kiss, I hope you're enjoying it !! Vampire Academay is my favorite series ever !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pick! I am definitely waiting on this one as well. I love the combination of historical fiction and paranormal as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this one around, it sounds like it's going to be a good one. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, definitely! This sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen a number of posts about this one recently. Can't wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting.. I'm not usually a fan of historical fiction, but when you through paranormal in there (plus romance, duh!) it peaks my interest :-) Nice pick, Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Ginger I'm not a historical fan but I do like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same Waiting on Wednesday! I can't wait for this one as I love the cover and historical fiction:) Happy reading!
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES YES YES to histfic/paranormal!! Must add to the TBR pile stat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just added this one to my Goodreads list. Love the cover and as you know I'm also a huge fan of anything historical fiction. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a new follower. I looked through your blog and we have a lot of the same interests. I've been reading VA and I love it and the book you picked for this weeks WoW sounds great!

    My Waiting on Wednesday is:
    http://faybaysbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE debutante season!! when they ladies get all dressed up and get sent out like lambs the the slughter to despicable rakes determined to steal their virture and ruin their reputations. I LOVE IT. Throw in magic and well, I would probably ruin my reputation for a copy of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds great and that cover is simply gorgeous.
    Definitely going to have to consider this! (I'm a new follower :) )

    Mostly Reading YA

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dark Mirror is on my list, I want to read this and absolutely love the cover.

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the cover and adding this to my list as well. BTW, I'm a new follower!
    NC
    http://trulybookish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yeah, this one is definitely on my list as well! Magic + Victorian England = <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are right the era, the magic and the whole concept make for a very interesting combination... I have read Mary Jo Putney and she spins a good tale! Hope you get a chance to read and enjoy it Anna!

    My WWW/WoW post this week if you have time to check it out...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...