Thursday, February 3, 2011

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Angelfire
By Courtney Allison Moulton
February 15, 2011
Katherine Tegen Books, 464 pages


First there are nightmares.

Every night Ellie is haunted by terrifying dreams of monstrous creatures that are hunting her, killing her.

Then come the memories.

When Ellie meets Will, she feels on the verge of remembering something just beyond her grasp. His attention is intense and romantic, and Ellie feels like her soul has known him for centuries. On her seventeenth birthday, on a dark street at midnight, Will awakens Ellie's power, and she knows that she can fight the creatures that stalk her in the grim darkness. Only Will holds the key to Ellie's memories, whole lifetimes of them, and when she looks at him, she can no longer pretend anything was just a dream.

Now she must hunt.

Ellie has power that no one can match, and her role is to hunt and kill the reapers that prey on human souls. But in order to survive the dangerous and ancient battle of the angels and the Fallen, she must also hunt for the secrets of her past lives and truths that may be too frightening to remember.

— Amazon.com description

Okay, this is going to seem a little weird, but bear with me. The best way I can sum up this book is:

Photobucket

So, it had the otherworldliness of Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers series. And definitely had some Buffy-esque butt-kicking girl power. Plus, the "spans generations and lifetimes" love story of The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller.

Overall, that's a great combo, right? Well, sort of. To be honest with you, I skimmed over a lot of the battle scenes and couldn't quite keep up with all the paranormal mumbo jumbo. Because of that, it took me awhile to get into.

But, have no fear, by the end I was soooo into it—and that's because of the romance. (ALWAYS with me. I know. It's an issue.) Talk about unresolved sexual tension...500 years' worth! Oy.

So, some pros and some cons. In the end, the book left me craving more. It didn't necessarily move me, but it did intrigue me. Count me in for Wings of the Wicked, the sequel out in 2012.

If you like this book, you might also like: Buffy! I mean, c'mon. Who doesn't love Buffy?

Anna Reads young adult book blog

PS: Many thanks to HarperCollins and NetGalley for sending me a review copy to read on my Kindle, may she rest in peace.

7 comments:

  1. Uhhm, I've never seen Buffy, or read any of the books. I'm thinking I should start since everyone keeps referencing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Buffy, but I've seen a lot of iffy reviews on this one, so I'm not sure it's for me. Nice review though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not one for paranormal most of the time, but I'm up for any good love story. Sounds like a book looking into at least. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am reading this one right now and really enjoying it. It also reminds me in tone of Paranormalcy (possibly not as funny though it has it's moments). Thanks for the review - am now looking forward to the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm...I have this to read soon and I'm a little nervous now. Although I haven't ever watched Buffy or read The Eternal Ones or the Soul Screamers series. Maybe that'll make it better?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally still need to read The Eternal Ones taht I bought at your recommendation. And I have this bad boy on my Nook... I really want to read it big time badly whoa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. RIP KINDLE YOU WILL BE SADLY MISSED :(

    AW, I don't think I can read this book because that cover just totally offends me, as does the synopsis. Honestlym what were they thinking?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...