Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares



Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
By Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
October 26, 2010
Knopf Books for Young Readers, 272 pages


“I’ve left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.”

So begins the latest whirlwind romance from the New York Times bestselling authors of Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist. Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions?

Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have written a love story that will have readers perusing bookstore shelves, looking and longing for a love (and a red notebook) of their own.


— Amazon.com description

I love New York City. So much that I will stoop so low to fist-bump to this Andrew W.K. song. I lived there for a while in college, just a few blocks away from the Strand bookstore featured in this book.

The thing about living in New York is that you FALL IN LOVE with it. And then you leave, it sort of starts to feel like an ex-boyfriend. You know: Things didn't work out at all, and you were really mad at it when you left, but years later you look back on it fondly and only seem to remember the good times. You think to yourself, "I wonder what New York is up to these days..."

This book made me remember the good times. It's a love letter to New York—and the beauty and bustle of a big city at Christmastime.

Okay, so the part with the dog and baby (if you've read it, you know what I mean) are sort of ridiculous. And no teenagers actually have such a high-class vocab. But the book is a charming celebration of bookish, geektastic, daring love. Who doesn't love that?

Anna Reads young adult book blog

PS: Did I mention that I met David Levithan last night? Tara from Fiction Folio and I work downtown (across the street from one another) and we walked just a few blocks over to a Barnes and Noble to say hi. Here's proof!



I loved hearing him talk and read from his latest book. Please check out his books, especially Dash & Lily. And I'll be reading my newly signed copy of A Lover's Dictionary by David soon!

9 comments:

  1. I love Dash and Lily--it was a very cute book! I'm so jealous you got to see David Levithan--lucky :) Can't wait to hear what you think about A Lover's Dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I hope you had fun last night! And I loved The Lover's Dictionary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool that you got to meet him. I love Dash and Lily...and most of his other stuff, too. His work has such great "voice" -- even though the characters don't speak like any teens I really know, they are still believable somehow and certainly charming and 3-dimensional. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so awesome! I love this book and any time I see a review I want to re-read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait to meet DAvid Levithan, he's coming to Texas for TLA!!! I hope I can make it. Soo lucky, I've always wanted to visit NY and I loved this book. =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I love your description of New York being like an ex-boyfriend. I'm so excited to read this book. And it's awesome that you met David Levithan. Enjoy your new book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the description of NYC being an ex-boyfriend ;-) I really, really enjoyed this book. And I'm jealous y'all got to meet David! How fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I think this looks great. I've wanted to read something by him for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! I ended up reading this book because of reviews from other book bloggers, so for my "review post" I thought I'd link to a bunch of reviews for D&L. I included your review in the post, but I can take it off if you'd rather me not have it on there. Just let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...