Friday, February 4, 2011

Dear Diary Day

I had a great time reading the comments on my post about why adult read young adult literature. But it got me thinking: Can we, as adult readers, be certain that what we're reading is an accurate depiction of how teens REALLY think?

YES! Here's how.



Read your diaries. Yes, it's embarrassing. Yes, you'll realize your vocabulary at that age wasn't quite as great as you remember it being. But it's fascinating what you'll learn about the young adult mind-set. Here, I'll go first. I absolutely did not make these up:

2/25/96 (Age 11)

Dear Diary.

I hope I start losing weight before junior high. I am wearing cooler clothes now, though.

Bye,
Anna Banana

---

3/29/96 (Age 11)

I just read Phantom Toll Booth. Sam is thinking of having a makeup party--cool! She's going to the Mall of America. I hope she brings me something back! I'm going to babysit over spring break and make big $$$.

I HATE Adam.

Bye,
Anna!
PS: Kate is such a computer hog!!!

---

4/1/96 (Age 11)

Dear Diary,

WE ARE MOVING!

Ha April Fool's. I really got you. :-) <-- that is a new online trend to mean smiley face. - Anna

Thing I've Learned: In middle-grade books, girls should still think boys are gross and mean. But they already worry about their appearance and what other girls think about them. Makeup and babysitting = the epitome of AWESOME. Humor is not very high brow. Big sisters are jerks.

Books This Validates: Every single book in the Little Sister series of Baby-Sitter's Club books by Ann M. Martin and the Sweet Valley Twins series by Francine Pascal

YOUR TURN! I'll be sharing and analyzing more entries every Friday for the month of February. If you'd like to join in on your own blog and happen to have your old writings nearby, leave a link in the comments!

PS: Thanks to my dear friend Ginger at GReads! for the icon.

18 comments:

  1. Well, I never had a diary. Looking back now, I wish I had wrote in one. Anyways, this is really, really cute and an awesome idea. Looking forward to seeing all these diary posts every week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS!!!

    I never really kept diaries. I'd write for like a week and then give up, and I don't think I held onto any of what I did write. It's too bad; they definitely would be interesting to look at in retrospect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my geezus!! I remember thinking babysitting brought in the big bucks too, haha. The "new online trend" is classic. Love it. Love YOU, Anna Banana ;-)

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have SO many diaries but mine are ALL angst. It's ridiculous haha now I want to find them and post entries, too hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shall be doing this next Friday :) This is such a cool idea and I can't wait to start reading my old diaries this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so funny! I think I actually burned a lot of my dairies from way back when! Great, fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious!

    I was a bit dramatic. I wasn't a dramatic person but my diaries read like bad screen plays. I usually tossed them at the beginning of the next school year out of embarrassment. Only to do the same thing the next year. I couldn't risk letting someone find my *swooning* letters to the boy, who I now can't even remember his name, was from one side of the block and I was from the other. Or the fact that my little online friend and I had a secret password for when our parents came into the room so we'd start *chatting* about homework. LOL

    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. I wish I had a diary. :( I can't wait to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome post Anna! I love the idea! I'm afraid once I reached high school I destroyed all evidence of a diary. I blame my brother :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man. You April Fools'd an INANIMATE OBJECT? You were such a cool tween.

    PS - I hope Adam didn't turn out to be a douche.

    PPS - http://shabbygeek.tumblr.com/post/366445260/scribblings-of-a-junior-high-writer

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally had a bajallion diaries and I read through them every once in a while. I would be SO embarrassed to post them on my blog but perhaps I will share excerpts with you each week in the comments. Tehehe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember I wrote a fake entry to my sister in my diary because I was sure she was reading it behind my back...so I didn't fake out an inanimate object, just an overly-animated and snoopy little sis!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! I didn't really start keeping a journal regularly until I got to college. I wish I had kept one throughout middle school and high, school. The few that I did keep have disappeared--I'm not sure if they're hiding somewhere, or if I threw them away (hopefully, they're just hiding!). I have extremely vivid memories of middle school and high school, though; oddly enough, I have stronger memories of middle school and high school than I do of college.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goddd this hilarious! My diaries were ridiculous, even in high school when I felt like I was starting to get my shit together. Right on about the make-up and boys thing though. I was that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha your diary entries seem wayy cooler then mine! haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wishing I had kept a diary- its wonderful that you can look back like that. Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never really kept diaries. But it is good to remember past moments.

    סקס

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do have a diary... some where but since I would get spontaneous thoughts I was most likely to write in what ever was handy. so my dairy entries are scattered around in different places in the house =p. I did find some like a month ago, and I was laughing a lot about the kind of worries i had and how bad my hand writing was. heres my link if you wanna read it http://asalwayslovecarol.blogspot.com/2011/02/diaries-of-time-long-gone.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...