Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"Waiting On" Wednesday 17

Waiting on Wednesday

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine to shine a spotlight on upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.




Between Shades of Gray
By Ruta Sepetys
352 pages
Philomel, to be released March 22, 2011

Lina is just like any other fifteen-year-old Lithuanian girl in 1941. She paints, she draws, she gets crushes on boys. Until one night when Soviet officers barge into her home, tearing her family from the comfortable life they've known. Separated from her father, forced onto a crowded and dirty train car, Lina, her mother, and her young brother slowly make their way north, crossing the Arctic Circle, to a work camp in the coldest reaches of Siberia. Here they are forced, under Stalin's orders, to dig for beets and fight for their lives under the cruelest of conditions.

Lina finds solace in her art, meticulously—and at great risk—documenting events by drawing, hoping these messages will make their way to her father's prison camp to let him know they are still alive. It is a long and harrowing journey, spanning years and covering 6,500 miles, but it is through incredible strength, love, and hope that Lina ultimately survives.
Between Shades of Gray is a novel that will steal your breath and capture your heart.

— Amazon.com description

Ruta Sepetys discusses her upcoming novel, Between Shades of Gray from Penguin Young Readers Group on Vimeo.


If you watch this video, I think you'll get a good understanding of what this book is going to be: Heartbreaking. Ruta Sepetys has made me cry already...and I haven't even picked up the book yet. I can't wait to check out this debut author's work!

What book are you waiting on this Wednesday?

Anna Reads young adult book blog

10 comments:

  1. I've heard this book was really moving so I'm really looking forward to read it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one either, thanks for posting the video, I haven't seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, see.... these heart breaking books are getting to me. I can't help but read them but I may have to make sure to put some fluff in between because I love this new wave of "deeper" books.

    Great Pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been dying to read this one for a while! I love how dark it sounds, to be honest, because a lot of the books I read are awfully trivial :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid to watch the video ecause I don't want to cry. HOWEVER! I do really want this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Fantastic choice. Plus it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been hearing really good things about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This looks like a memorable read! It is now added to my TBR pile!
    BTW very cute blog!

    Somer @ A Bird's Eye Review

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to read this one, it's definitely on my list. Sounds intense!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It definitely sounds like a heartbreaking story.

    Feel free to check out my WoW here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...