Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Waiting On" Wednesday 18



"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine to shine a spotlight on upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.


In the Shadow of the Lamp
By Susanne Dunlap
304 pages
Bloomsbury USA Children's Books, to be released April 12, 2011

It's 1854 and sixteen-year-old Molly would give anything to change her circumstances as a lowly servant in a posh London house. So when she hears of an opportunity to join the nurses who will be traveling with Florence Nightingale to the Crimea, she jumps at the chance. The work is grueling, the hospital conditions deplorable, and Miss Nightingale a demanding teacher. Before long, the plight of British soldiers becomes more than just a mission of mercy as Molly finds that she's falling in love with both a dashing young doctor and a soldier who has joined the army to be near her. But with the battle raging ever nearer, can Molly keep the two men she cares for from harm? A love story to savor, and a fascinating behind-the-scenes imagining of the woman who became known as "the lady with the lamp."

— Amazon.com description

Three cheers for historical fiction! I'm a little sick of love triangles, but this ones sounds intriguing and different. Helloooo, soldier...

Any books you're looking forward to?

Anna Reads young adult book blog

12 comments:

  1. Shadow of the Lamp is definitely on my TBR list as well. I love historical fiction so this one sounds perfect for me. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this on my list of possible books for the historical fiction reading challenge. It definitely sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love good historical fiction, and this sound really, really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh soldiers, sounds good! I really like historical fiction too. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't normally go for historical, but this one sounds really good. And how romantic that he joined the army just to be near her! Great WoW pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at you & your cute graphic!! LOVE :-) I have this book added to my TBR list on goodreads. I'm not usually a historical fiction fan, but HELLO romance.. duh! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need me some historical fiction in my life stat...I have had a craving for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How romantic! I enjoy some historical fiction, especially with a little romance mixed in, so I'll definitly be adding this to my wishlist! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your graphic too! I don't read a lot of historical romance but I like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't read historical fiction books that much but this one seems really great !! Awesome pick ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/02/waiting-on-wednesday_09.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...