Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Waiting On" Wednesday 20



"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine to shine a spotlight on upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.


The Returning
By Christine Hinwood
320 pages
Dial, to be released April 14, 2011

An engrossing epic tale with a cast of characters that will hijack your heart.

Cam Attling, having lost an arm, is the only one from his town of Kayforl to return after twelve years of war. All his fellow soldiers were slain, and suspicion surrounds him. When his betrothal to Graceful Fenister is called off and his role in the community questioned, Cam leaves to find the lord who maimed him but spared his life, seeking answers and a new place in the world.

But this is not just Cam's story, it's about all those whose fates entwine with his. Set in a medieval world that is entirely the author's creation, this is an ingenious, exquisite story about what happens after the battle. When sisters, sons, friends, parents, and lovers are left to deal with the subtle aftermaths and unimagined repercussions of war.


— Amazon.com description

Do you think publishers know just how much weight a great cover quote can have? They must, right? Because as soon as I saw Megan Whalen Turner (author of The Thief) on this cover, they had my interest.

Here's what she said: "A beautiful representation of love and loyalty and the aftermath of war."

And doesn't this book just seem The Thief-ish from its description? Epic! I'll read it for sure.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

12 comments:

  1. Great pick! I've never heard of this one, but you are right- it sounds promising. I will have to add it to my TBR. Thanks for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very intriguing. I can't tell if it's hist. fiction or fantasy. Good pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A superb pick! It looks great. Happy Reading :)
    Check out what I'm Waiting On Wednesday

    Mia @GrippedintoBooks

    ReplyDelete
  4. "An engrossing epic tale with a cast of characters that will hijack your heart." --- um I think THAT just hijacked me!! This books sounds really good. Adding it to my TBR list now! Thanks Anna :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always have books on your WoW that I've never heard of! My list keeps growing and growing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/02/waiting-on-wednesday_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds very intriguing! I'm wondering what the time period is on this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of this, but it sounds interesting. I think I'll check it out. Good pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anna!

    You just won an award! Here it is: http://frosybookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/02/7-facts-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also forgot to mention that it's a double award!

    Congratulations! http://frosybookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/02/7-facts-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want my heart to be hijacked. Please make this happen.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...