Thursday, April 28, 2011

Divergent by Veronica Roth Review

Divergent
By Veronica Roth
May 3, 2011
Katherine Tegen Books, 496 pages

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.


— Amazon.com description

Oh, Divergent, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

1. The Hunger Games Factor

Someone (Ginger!) told me that she didn't get the comparisons this book is getting to The Hunger Games. What!? This book is jam-packed with bravery, betrayal, bloodshed, tough decisions, a controlling society and a girl that dares to think for herself. Hello! Hunger Games factor up the wazoo.

2. Unputdownableness

I haven't felt this desperate to finish a book in quite some time. It was bad. It led to this conversation:
Me: I wonder what's happening in my book right now.
Hubby: What do you mean? You aren't reading right now.
Me: Yeah. I wonder what the characters are doing.
Hubby: You know the characters don't keep on doing things while you're not reading, right?
Me: Hm...are you sure?
Okay, I'm crazy. But that's how realistic this book felt. I was IN it.

3. Chicago

My hometown in ruins! Say it ain't so! Every time I get on the El in the morning, I think, "How in the world did Tris ever jump onto this while it's moving?" Trust me, you wouldn't want to do that.

4. A Boy Named Four 

'Nuff said.

Oh, who are we kidding? Did you think for a second I wouldn't at least comment on the boy? HA! You don't know me at all. While tip-toeing around a few things so as not to spoil, I'll say this: Four wasn't an ooey-gooey feelings type of guy. And Tris never expected him to be. And I loved that.

Loved it. Buying my own copy next week. Jen, thank you for loaning me this book -- you have EXCELLENT taste.

You might also like: The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins

Anna Reads young adult book blog

12 comments:

  1. I've read great things about this book! I will definitely read it. In my wishlist!

    Nice review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this book sounds totally awesome. I'm putting it on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY, I love your review!It's so funny and makes me want to re-read it immediately. I love that conversation with your hubby, ha:D Ok,think I'm going to swoon now... love 4!!!

    Greetings,
    Sarah

    My latest review(Divergent aswell:)): http://misspageturnerscityofbooks.blogspot.com/2011/04/book-review-divergent-divergent-1-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um way to call me out!! And you totally quoted me wrong :P I said I get why people are comparing it to Hunger Games, but it felt more The Host to me! We may need to go back to copying & pasting g-chat convos :P

    I seriously loved this book too. How could you not?! And tell Dan that I am wondering what the heck Tris & Four are up to as well!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to cop to skimming reviews of this one in the past; it just didn't seem like my cup of tea, and that cover? Meh. Not sure why, but it's never pulled me in.

    But I'm rethinking it! I'm rethinking it all! I haven't found a book I was so desperate to finish since The Hunger Games series (and Susan Beth Pfeffer's Life As We Knew It, my favorite), so maybe I'll take a crack at this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahah great review!! You make me laugh... I loved the Hunger Games and absolutely cannot wait to read this :)

    Sarah
    Inklings Read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, number two is making me comment. Because I do that too, if it's an awesome book! Are they having a break, like actors do? Talking about the scene while waiting for you to come back? It could be possible! Nice to know there are other crazy people out there..
    Yeah, awesome review, must have this book. Just because of this:

    4. A Boy Named Four

    'Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know that this book had a love interest too!!! Haha now I'm super curious about this "boy named Four"!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh.Em.Gee. I love, Loved, LOVED this one too! Words cannot express the depth of my affection for Four and Tris, very Katniss-esque in her strength and perseverance. I'm so interested to see what happens next but am so so sad we have to wait until 2013 to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished this today and I loved it! I read a library copy and I think I need my own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just finished this book yesterday and i'm lost without Four!!!!!!! i love love love love love him!!! veronica needs to get cracking on those other two books!!!!!!!! i couldn't put this book down!!! it was so wonderful!!! can't wait for the next ones!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...