Monday, April 18, 2011

Oh My Gods by Tera Lynn Childs Review

By Tera Lynn Childs
May 1, 2008
Dutton Juvenile, 272 pages


A modern girl's comedic odyssey in a school filled with the descendants of Greek gods. When Phoebe's mom returns from Greece with a new husband and moves them to an island in the Aegean, Phoebe's plans for her senior year and track season are ancient history. Now she must attend the uberexclusive academy, where admission depends on pedigree, namely, ancestry from Zeus, Hera, and other Greek gods. That'’s right, they'’re real, not myth, and their teen descendants are like the classical heroes—supersmart and superbeautiful with a few superpowers. And now they'’re on her track team! Armed only with her Nikes and the will to win, Phoebe races to find her place among the gods.
— Amazon.com description

When I reviewed Tera Lynn Childs' book Forgive My Fins, I said: "I love how her brain works."

Well, my friends, that statement holds.

Sometimes I think Tera Lynn Childs interviewed me as a 12-year-old, then took every subject matter I was super into at that age and turned it into a book...a book I'd miraculously still love as a 26-year-old. Mermaids, mythology? TLC, if you write about deserted islands and/or treasure hunts at some time in the future, I am yours forever.*

Put simply, without getting into all the details: It's clear the woman has a vivid, delightful imagination (heck, she even makes photo collages for her characters), and hers are books I'd be happy to recommend to my imaginary daughter someday. Someday far, far away.**

You might also like: If you're into books with a modern twist on mythology, check out Percy Jackson & the Olympians or The Goddess Test (review coming soon!)

Anna Reads young adult book blog


*Bonus: Twelve-year-old Anna would request that JTT be involved somehow. But, don't worry, I can understand how that one wouldn't hold up 14 years later.

**My mother and mother-in-law read this blog.

13 comments:

  1. Love Tera Lynn Childs! She has such a wonderfully readable writing style. Great review, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna's Mom!! :-) hehe

    I have Forgive My Fins & really need to read it soon. This author sounds like a good dose of happy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really got around to reading the first, and that is pretty much down to seeing a lot of negative and mixed reviews on it from great bloggers I trust. Good to see that you enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What would you think about using this book with my 6th grade kiddos who are studying Ancient Greece? We've used Percy Jackson and The Lightening Thief with great success, but I wasn't sure if Oh My Gods would have enough substance to really stand up in a social studies lit. circle. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds awesome! Thanks for bringing this one to my attention, Anna! I love me some mythology!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, this sounds like kind of a cute book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anna you're so cute! I love this review and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anna's Ma and MIL! *waves*

    Hi to you too, Anna. Don't you just love irrelevant commenters?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great mythology based book. So cute, have you read the follow up yet? I think I may have liked it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this book! It was easy to read and fun, plus I LOVEEEE Greek mythology! :p

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woohoo. She is coming to my neck of the woods. Going to gave to go meet her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My boyfriend has been obsessed with Greek mythology lately, and it's been rubbing off on me. I'm definitely snagging a copy of this book for myself. I must also add that I LOVE the cover of this book!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...