Monday, April 25, 2011

Top 10 Mean Girls in Books


It's Top 10 Tuesday (hosted at The Broke and the Bookish) and the topic is: 
Top 10 MEAN GIRLS in Books


Oh you nasty, nasty Bs. So look -- I couldn't get to 10 because I was too upset thinking about all the rudeness, the bullying, the self-righteousness, the rumors. RUDE. But such a great plot device, no?

1. Miss Bingley in Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
"She has nothing, in short, to recommend her, but being an excellent walker. I shall never forget her appearance this morning. She really looked almost wild." What a jerk. Sure it's masked in flowery language, but calling a girl's hair "untidy, and so blowsy" is just low.

2. Sam from Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
"Psycho killer, qu'est-ce que c'est" ... she and her friends taunted a girl by singing this Talking Heads song, day after day, in the cafeteria. Sure, she learned her lesson in the end, but damn. What a bully!



3. Any female from Gossip Girl
"Take off that hideous scarf, Penelope, you can see it from space." I read the books so long ago I'm going to go ahead and mix 'em up with the TV show. But the point remains: I dare someone to name a female character from this series who hasn't been portrayed at some point at a Mean Girl. Can't do it, can you?

4. Tory from Jinx by Meg Cabot
Teenage girls are bad enough without throwing MAGIC into the equation. Eesh.


5. Evil Stepsisters from Cinderella by ... I don't know. Ancient folk tale people? And then later Disney.
PS: Their names are Esmeralda and Prunella.

6. Monica Morrel from the Morganville Vampires series by Rachel Caine
"You’re one smart little freak. Now run away, smart little freak, before I change my mind and stick you in one of these old suitcases for some architect to find a hundred years from now.” This girl is beyond Heathers psycho. We're talking mean in the "I will give you over to bloodthirsty vamps and laugh while I watch you die" mean. But I don't know...there might be redemption for her yet.

Here's the thing about Mean Girls, people, fictional or not: They are everywhere (even in blogging) and you can't avoid them. But they always -- always -- get what's coming to them. Girls can be bitches, but karma's the bitchiest of 'em all. Remember that.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

17 comments:

  1. Cinderella was originally a Grimm brother's tale (as so many of the disney princesses...) And WOW this post was great! I have never read (or watched) Gossip Girl or Meg Cabot's Jinx but I agree 100% on all the rest!

    Thanks for the fun post! ^-^

    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Step sisters in Cinderella! The mean girls from my youth! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Yes, karma has a way of doing that. Good list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said my friend! My top 10 list goes up later. I went a little further than just the "mean girl" role. I literally listed 10 girls that I'd want to slap & then stated my reasons, Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wrong. The first to talk about Cinderella was Charles Perrault :) But of course Grimm brothers and Disney changed the story after him.

    Haha love the ending of the post! Nice post by the way, I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Monica. I knew I wouldn't like her from the moment she stole Claire's clothes and pushed her down the stairs in the first chapter of the first book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol...Karma's the bitchiest of 'em all! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list of girls we love to hate. The photos are perfect! The evil stepsisters are definitely mean girls. Monica Morrell was one of the first that I thought of for this list. And who could forget Gossip Girl, the mean girls of the upper east side.
    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those stepsisters are TOTALLY scowling. Can you tell that's my word of the day? But seriously, i love Sam from Before I Fall. She really is superstar biology. Like... I love her. She made me cry so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH. And Monica. I hate her and I love her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You listed good!

    Check out my bad girls in my Top Ten post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic list! Love that pic of the stepsisters. They always bugged the hell out of me.

    Rachel-Endless Reading

    ReplyDelete
  13. Monica was on my list too - she's such a hag.

    Reading Lark's Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, let me try that again.. sorry. Great post. Those step sisters are horrid. You're right about karma. It always comes back around.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Miss Bingley! How great that you thought of her first, she IS a bitch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. http://www.dolabuy.com/celine-bags.htm celine bags scenery louis vuitton used comedy louis vuitton official outlet 2012 review tinny suit planet hermes tie pins clips recording [url=http://www.dolabuy.com/celine-bags.htm]celine handbags 2012[/url]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...