Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mostly Good Girls by Leila Sales Review

By Leila Sales
October 5, 2010
Simon Pulse, 368 pages

The higher you aim, the farther you fall….

It’s Violet’s junior year at the Westfield School. She thought she’d be focusing on getting straight As, editing the lit mag, and figuring out how to talk to boys without choking on her own saliva. Instead, she’s just trying to hold it together in the face of cutthroat academics, her crush’s new girlfriend, and the sense that things are going irreversibly wrong with her best friend, Katie.

When Katie starts making choices that Violet can’t even begin to fathom, Violet has no idea how to set things right between them. Westfield girls are trained for success—but how can Violet keep her junior year from being one huge, epic failure?

— Amazon.com description

High school isn't about vampires or crime fighting or even just about boys. It's about friendships and falling out and siblings and parental strife and angst and laughter and dancing and making mistakes and AP tests and finding yourself. If you just read young adult books, you'd probably forget that.

This book gets that and brought me back to a sense of what young adulthood is really about. It represents the stories and lessons and memories of my high school experience...well, minus the boarding school bit and plus a lot more comedy.

I loved Not That Kind of Girl by Siobhan Vivian for the same reason I love Mostly Good Girls -- because it represented a worldview similar to mine in high school. It just seemed real.

Leila Sales translates the high school experience perfectly to the page. Leila, I love you. Where have you been all my life? You clearly would have been my Katie.

You might also like: Leila's hilarious blog! This is the concept:
When you send a text message on the Verizon network, you can address your text by choosing a name out of your contact list, or you can address it by typing in a phone number. You can also type in a name. And if you type in L-E-I-L-A, then-- bizarrely-- your text will come to me. This is a blog about the texts I have received. All of them are from strangers, intended for other Leilas, but obviously they missed their marks.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

12 comments:

  1. So, on your recommendation I am currently reading this book and LOVE it also! You know how I am more a fan of books about "real things (ie not vampires and wolves and fairies)" and this one hit the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't picked this one up yet but clearly need to ASAP. I'm in a contemp phase so now would be a good time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? A teen book mostly about a friendship and not emo vamps and fallen angels? Gasp, what an idea! lol. This book sounds really good, the main character seems like someone I really could have related to in highschool!

    -Kate the Book Buff
    The Book Buff: Book Reviews for Regular People

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously adored this book for the same reasons you mentioned. It was totally a breath of fresh air... just absolutely hilarious, but real, and about friendship and growing up and all the preconceived notions people have... and yah, I just loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog Noonie. However all these books and stuff are a bit much for me-unless I can read it on my iPad I'm destined to lose. Also, I'm too busy watching Days for actual word reading. Do they have books about Days of Our Lives? Just checking...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is absolutely amazing! I loved it. I actually competed in forensics with a passage of Mostly Good Girls this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well your blog is just great, but I doubt I will read this one. Try getting to some man-friendly books, you know sports and deer hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok that Leila text thing is amazing. Are you the one who wrote her about gluten free? :) Maybe one of these days I'll read a book, and this one sounds appealing (despite the fact that there are no vampires). As always, thanks for all the wonderful insight into the world of books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Josh sounds he reads similar books as my father, lol.

    I have this book on my shelf and I keep hearing great things about it, I should pick it up really soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi:

    I passed on a blog award to you. You deserve it for your honest and varied reviews. Love those music vids, too. ;>

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been wanting to read this one! I remember the first time I saw this cover, I thought it was a ballerina story. HAH.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...