Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Top 10 Books I'm Glad Were Recommended to Me


It's Top 10 Tuesday (hosted at The Broke and the Bookish) and the topic is: 
Top 10 Books I'm So Happy Were Recommended to Me


These are the books I definitely wouldn't have picked up on my own. But I'm SO freaking glad I did! Thanks for the recs, guys. Keep 'em coming.



1. The Trixie Belden Series
Let's start at the very beginning, eh? My mom collected these books when she was a child and passed them on to me. I reread them each at least five times. Think Nancy Drew but BETTER.

2. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
I was searching for a new book for a family road trip, probably around age 11, when my dad walked up to me in the Barnes and Noble and handed me The Hobbit. "Read this," he said, then walked away. Have I mentioned lately that I LOVE coming from a bookish family?


3. The Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Have you seen those covers? I'm definitely guilty of judging a book by its cover, so it took me forever to read these. I'm so glad I finally did.

4. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
My dear friend Jamie sent me this one for Christmas. I hate books about death, but thank goodness she sent me this one. It's about so much more than that. A beautiful read -- review to come next week!

5. The Summer Series by Jenny Han
Have you met Ginger? If so, you know she's a little, um, obsessed. And rightfully so! Glad she introduced me to the gang at Cousins Beach. A great summer read.


6. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
A co-worker at my old job told she'd started reading this and couldn't put it down. I went to the bookstore after work that night and stayed up all night reading it. Bring on the movie!

7. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
This book gets off to a slow start -- everyone agrees on that. Thankfully, I'd been warned by the many, many bloggers who rave over this book to plow my way through. Give it a go, and stick with it. Worth it!

8. One Night That Changes Everything by Lauren Barnholdt
Another rec from Ginger. If you like Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist-type books, or anything contemporary, try this one. I adore books that unfold throughout the course of an evening.


9. The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
This book was recommended to me by my best friend Ali in this post. She knows her stuff. Check it out.

10. Any book my book club made me read
Oh my god, I can't believe I'm admitting this. Look, I don't read about 85% of the books. But when I do, I'm usually happy I let them push me out of my comfort zone. (Friends who are reading this: That does not mean you are allowed to make me read any more non-fiction books about serial killers. I MEAN IT.)

Now, this week I have a few books to read that were also highly recommended: Mostly Good Girls by Leila Sales (Carla) and Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King (Jamie). Let me know if I've ever recommended a book that you've read and enjoyed -- I'd love to know!


Anna Reads young adult book blog

19 comments:

  1. Anna, this year I have ONLY read books that you recommended, most recently Delirium. And when you said the Morganville vampire series was like crack to you...well I wanted what you were having and bought the entire series. You are my book guru!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I Stay is on my list as well! Love that book. I also love the Summer series and The Hobbit; in fact, I am teaching the Hobbit to my 6th graders now. It's been a lot of fun! Great list, Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list, including several that I just added today (If I Stay, for example). I recommend Divergent and I'm giving away a copy this month on my blog. Maybe you'd like to jump in for this one....

    Here's my gratitude list: Top Ten Books I'm Happy Were Recommended to Me. I hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um how about half my bookshelf?! For reals, haha. I do have you to thank for introducing me to Jennifer Echols :-) Was it back in October? you and I were just beginning our journey as book blogger buddies and I remember you suggesting I check out a certain John After.. it all went downhill after that (in the best way possible!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Hunger Games was a rec that I never would have picked up on my own -- especially since, at the time, I'd read next to no dystopian novels! So glad I read it, though. Lots of great titles on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being 'made' to read a book has its advantages, doesn't it? I would have missed so much if I hadn't had books pushed on me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vampire Academy. Represent, foreva. Without that series, you wouldn't have been compelled to compile that stick figure review and get retweeeted by Ms. Mead herself. WORD.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the hobbit! And Hunger games. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up on Trixie Belden too. Still have a complete set of paperbacks. So glad they're re-releasing them in HC now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. VA and If i stay are on my list as well, do we realise when we ddo these lists we are recomending books to other readers?

    The Book Mystress, xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh ghee, The Hobbit, High School must for me, which i could not understand for the sake of me so our student council protested and we were given the right to read another book. I still read it thought later since i had to purchase it for that class. Quite a few bloggers have Hunger Games on their list. Happy Reading 2 u

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is nice having a bookish family, I really enjoy reading the same books my daughters do, It makes for good conversation. Nice list today. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a lot of my favorites on your list (VA, Summer series, If I Stay, Hunger Games) and I also grew up with Trixie Belden. Like you, I"m so grateful to my bookish family and for the awesome book bloggers that recommend these books! I will check out # 8 and # 9 on your list - they sounds like good ones. Thanks for sharing your list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too am so happy that Hunger Games was recommended to me. Great list! I didn't participate in Top 10 today, but it would have certainly had been on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh gosh yes to VA. I'm totally guilty of being a book cover judger type person.

    Agreed about Jellicoe Road. Although people talking about how confusing and difficult it was put me off it for a long time, too, until I decided that all the positive reviews about it being life changing outweighed those possible downsides. And I'm so glad I read it because it's absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like Sherman Alexie and I started reading Absolutely True..., but I got distracted and didn't finish. I'll have to go back to it.

    Check out my list here

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some very good books on your list. I'm also a bit curious about the serial killer remark.

    My teaser is here.

    -Cassandra @ Wickedly Delicious Tales

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whoops! I said teaser, but I also meant my top ten list!

    -Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. Unfortunately, no one I recommend it to will read it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...