Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Top 10 Minor Characters in Books


It's Top 10 Tuesday (hosted at The Broke and the Bookish) and the topic is: 
Top 10 Minor Characters in Books

Movies? No prob. TV? I can rattle off 10 great minor characters right now. Books were harder for some reason -- I only made it to eight! 

1.  Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
Oh, Luna. Let's face it: The girl is crazy. But she's also kind, forgiving and always there for her friends in a pinch. Seriously, she's my favorite Harry Potter character.

2. Myrnin from the Morganville Vampires series by Rachel Caine
Speaking of crazy...Myrnin certainly brings it. But, like Luna, the batsh*t vamp means well. We hope so, anyway.


3. Rue from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Who didn't cry in the Rue scene? Seriously, who? Just wait for the movie! Look at her cute little face.

4.  Grimalkin from the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa
The sarcastic trickster is a "cait sith," but in my mind he's the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland. When he enters a scene, you know things are gonna get interesting.


5. Seth in The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer
In the midst of all the "me me me" dramarama in these books, Seth is just a nice kid who, instead of brooding, tries to be normal and just do the right thing. Crazy refreshing.

6. Marin in the Jessica Darling series by Megan McCafferty
Okay, so she's just a kid in the books, but she pretty much said exactly what we were all thinking (SPOILER ALERT):

"YES! You and Marcus still LOVE LOVE LOVE each other because you and Marcus are TRUE SOUL MATES even though you haven't seen each other in, like, FOREVER, but it's just like MOM and E-CAR JERRY, who didn't see each other after, like, FOREVER, and it was, like, WHAMMO! BLAMMO! Cupid's ARROW with, like, MANY INTIMATE MOMENTS, and they knew it was FATE and DESTINY that had brought them back together..."

7. Clare in Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky
I JUST finished this book, and the review is still on the way, but I adored Clare. I'm so sick of girls backstabbing their friends or abandoning them or stealing their men. Clare was just a genuinely kind, supportive girl who wanted the best for her new friend. Love it.

8. Susannah from the Summer series by Jenny Han
Fun and loving...she lightened up the lives of everyone she touched in these books.

Who are your faves?


Anna Reads young adult book blog

16 comments:

  1. "I'm so sick of girls backstabbing their friends or abandoning them or stealing their men."
    Um... that's what girls do. To many girls, men are more important than friends. Speaking from personal experience (as a stab-ee, not a stabb-er).
    Apart from that, nice choices! Some books are going to the top of my to-read list. Grimalkin sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lissa: Sure, girls can be mean. But there are some loyal, lovely friends out there who are good at heart. I think we should celebrate when positive relationships are promoted in literature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list. Totally agree with Luna and Rue. I have a feeling I will be bawling during Rue's scene when I go see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your reply to Lissa. If those are the girls you know, get rid of 'em and find some new friends.

    LOVE your picks! I second Luna, Rue, and Seth. I also have to heartily endorse Bramble from ENTWINED by Heather Dixon, and Finnick from HUNGER GAMES. Am I allowed to mention Hedwig from HARRY POTTER? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marin!!! Her second best line: "Maaaaaaaaaaaaaacus" ;-) and at the above comment, I agree with Anna - let celebrate those AWESOME best friends. Why do we always have to recognize the crappy ones?!

    P.S. It's Susannah ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I forgot about Seth (how could I?!)I also put Luna on my list - she really is a great character.

    Here's my list: Sash's Top 10 Minor Characters

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Myrnin made me laugh continuously. I would also have to add in Bert from The TruthAbout Forever, he made that book so muchmore enjoyable in slower places :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list. Rue really did make me cry. And Luna and Seth are perfect choices. I really like how accepting Seth was and how he was the first to follow Jacob!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome list, Anna! I SO agree on Luna and Susannah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had Luna as well. I only made it to 7, and I left out Rue. I loved her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of those besides two, because I have yet to read the books, I agree with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Myrnin made my list too! I love his delightfully unbalanced self. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Luna is my favorite Harry Potter character too! She is so strange, but so kind and loyal. Love your list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I didn't love Hermione so much, Luna would easily be my favorite Harry Potter character. An also notable secondary character from the Harry Potter series is Neville Longbottom! I think he's pretty awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, I loved Awaken and you're one of the few people I've seen in blog land who's read it too. Such a fantastic book!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...