Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Top 10 Summer Books for Teens



It's Top 10 Tuesday (hosted at The Broke and the Bookish) and the topic is:
Top 10 Books That Should Be in a Beach Bag




1. Baby-Sitters Club Super Special #5: California Girls! by Ann M. Martin

When the baby-sitters win the lottery, they go to California with Dawn. Jessi lands a part in a television show, Stacey becomes a surfer girl, and the girls still have time for baby-sitting, sight-seeing, and the beach!


2. Peaches by Jodi Lynn Anderson
Three Georgia peaches are in for one juicy summer ... but Birdie would rather eat Thin Mints and sulk in the A/C. Leeda would prefer to sneak off with her boyfriend, Rex. And Murphy would much rather cause a little mischief. Together these three very different girls will discover the secret to finding the right boy, making the truest of friends, and picking the perfect Georgia peach.






3. Sleepaway Girls by Jen Calonita

When Sam's best friend gets her first boyfriend, she's not ready to spend the summer listening to the two of them call each other "pookie." Sick of being a third wheel, Sam applies to be a counselor-in-training at Whispering Pines camp in the New York Catskills. But what she doesn't realize is that it's not going to be all Kumbaya sing-alongs and gooey s'mores.


4. Caribbean Cruising by Rachel Hawthorne
The perfect summer story of a girl, several boys, and a cruise ship full of possibilities. Lindsay has never been on a cruise, but she knows exactly what she wants to do now that she is: climb a waterfall, snorkel, meet lots of cute guys, and look for one perfect guy for a summer fling.



5. Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen Ever since her parents began fighting, Auden has been unable to sleep at night. Now, spending a summer at a charming beach town with her father and his new family, she has to find new places to pass the time she spends awake. And so she meets Eli, a fellow insomniac who becomes her nighttime guide.


6. Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler
According to her best friend Frankie, twenty days in Zanzibar Bay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy ever day, there's a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there's something she hasn't told Frankie---she's already had that kind of romance, and it was with Frankie's older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.


7. How to Ruin a Summer Vacation by Simone Elkeles
Going to Israel with her estranged Israeli father is the last thing Amy wants to do this summer. She’s got a serious grudge against her dad, a.k.a. “Sperm Donor,” for showing up so rarely in her life. Now he’s dragging her to a war zone to meet a family she’s never known, where she’ll probably be drafted into the army.




8. The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad.





9. Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn’t seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him.



10. Pants on Fire by Meg Cabot
She's juggling two boyfriends, secretly hating the high school football team everyone else worships, and trying to have the best summer ever. At least Katie has it all under control (sort of). Her biggest secret, what really happened the night "Tommy Sullivan is a freak" was spray-painted on the junior high gymnasium wall, is safe. That is, until Tommy comes back to town. Katie is sure he's going to ruin all her plans, and she'll do anything to hang on to her perfect existence. Even if it means telling more lies. Even if, now that Tommy's around, she's actually—truthfully—having the time of her life.



11. Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott (I love summer books -- there was no stopping at 10!)

Dani has been trained as a thief by the best there is—her mother. They never stay in one place long enough for Dani to have real connections, real friends—a real life. But in the town of Heaven, everything changes. Suddenly, Dani must question where her loyalties lie: with the life she's always known—or the one she's always wanted.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

24 comments:

  1. Along for the Ride is my favourite Sarah Dessen book!
    I chose winter books over summer ones, as it's currently winter where I live :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE summer books too (and no, not just the Summer series lol). Nice list Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twenty Boy Summer and The Summer books made my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, we haven't read ANY of these, but we can tell just from your commentary and the covers that (a) we would love them, and (b) they are great beach reads. Thanks for the reccos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read two of these (A&R and the Summer books) but DUDE, totally support the BSC love. Not to be confused with BSB love, which came about a decade later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES! and Hooray! for The Babysitter's Club!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great list! Oh gosh. I haven't thought of the Babysitters Club in forever. I'll have to put Twenty Boy Summer on my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've got some beach bag book in commmon! I can't believe you included The Babysitters Club! LOL! Gotta keep to the roots.

    Love all these books, a few even made my bag list. I gotta say tho can't believe I forgot about Caribbean Cruising. I mean, really, that was the shiz. I have, but haven't read Simone Elkeles How To Ruin books, perhaps I shall be taking that with me on vacation.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We picked 3 of the same titles, haha.

    'Stealing Heaven' was the first Elizabeth Scott book I read, and it's one of the only ones I don't own. I think I need to remedy that so I can re-read it!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to try Along for the Ride. I've only read The Truth about Forever and I thought it was just okay. They all look good though:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suck at life because I've only read two of these but I do have this to add to the conversation:

    California girls
    We're unforgettable
    Daisy Dukes
    Bikinis on top
    Sun-kissed skin
    So hot
    We'll melt your Popsicle
    Oooooh oh oooooh

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always loved the BSC Super Specials - so much fun! Not familiar with the others, but I do like reading YA in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Along For the Ride! It's definitely my favorite Sarah Dessen novel. And I am thrilled to see a BSC book on your list--California Girls was one of my favorite BSC super specials. Twenty Boy Summer is also an amazing read, and I look forward to reading The Summer I Turned Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Along for the Ride its amazing. As well as Amy and Roger's. Epic books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sleepaway Girls sounds fabs. summer camp counselor romance? YES please.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been saving Epic Detour for this summer. It looks like a perfect read for the beach.

    Here's my list of books I plan to put in my beach bag this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many lovely summer books! Several of these were on my summer reads post awhile back. I have yet to read Amy and Rogers Epic Detour or Twenty Boy Summer but I'm so interested in both!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely beach-themed books. Just seeing the covers makes me feel refreshed. I loved the Babysitter's Club mystery books. I must have read Babysitter's Haunted House (the first "super mystery") a zillion times. Brings back great memories.

    Nice list, and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great choices! Sleepaway Girls looks so cute. I love summer-y books so I def. need to check some of these out- especially the Jenny Han book! I've heard great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I keep hearing about Stealing Heaven and haven't yet had the opportunity to pick it up. I'm thinking I should do so sooner than later. But, thankfully I've enjoyed Along for the Ride and LOVED the Summer series! So I'm not a complete fail on the summer reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. My Favorite off this list is The Summer I Turned Pretty. I love the series.
    1)The Summer I Turned Pretty
    2)It's Not Summer Without You
    3)We'll Always Have Summer

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh my goodness. i read along for the ride for the first time a week ago and i went to some garage sales and ended up buying a bike. but how could i not buy a book after reading this book! also, i'm 25 and i never go to go to prom so my friends are throwing one for me. but seriously, after reading this book how could you not do some of the things you missed out on when you were younger! and i LOVE eli!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Definitely agree with Amy and Roger's Epic Detour, which is one of my favourites of the past few years.

    I REALLY want to read the 'Pretty' series and keep forgetting - I think I'll go try and order it from my local library now!

    Great list, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...