Thursday, June 16, 2011

Blood Red Road by Moira Young Review

Blood Red Road
By Moira Young
June 7, 2011
Margaret K. McElderry, 464 pages

Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back.

Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.

— Amazon.com description

I'd describe this book as Gladiator meets Hunger Games meets Lord of the Rings. Oh, sure, I'm sick of hearing "It's the next Hunger Games," and I'm sure you are too.

But, no. Seriously. It's good like that.

First, you'll have to get over the author's writing style. It's all told in Saba's country-esque twang. “And” becomes “an” and things are misspelled and there’s not quotation marks and pretty every single gerund lost the “g” at the end.

Good lord, I feel for the copy editors on this book.

But after stumbling through a few chapters, I was hearing Saba's voice in my head (think Holly Hunter) and it became easy to translate. Soon, I was swept away in the story.

And oh what a story! This is the classic quest story, epic in every sense. And the main character is full of grit, willing to spit in the face of anyone trying to get in her way. Another book I’d highly recommend to anyone looking for an adventure story (plus, romance, friendship and some classic good vs. evil). Please check it out!

Anna Reads young adult book blog

Many thanks to Simon & Schuster's Galley Grab for my review copy of this book.

10 comments:

  1. Yay!

    Although, I have to admit my ignorance and ask wtf is a Gerund? Sounds like Gerald spelled wrong.

    But yes, Holly Hunter that is totes the voice I was hearing in my head WHILE READING, I don't hear voices in my head while not reading.

    Fantastic review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great. Yea it sound like it would be hard to read but I will def add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do need to read this! I'm afraid that I won't like Saba's talking/writing style but I'll try!

    Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to read this book once before though the writing style put me off. Though, since I keep hearing amazing things about it, I think I'm going to give it another try sometime soon. Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know a book is good when a reader can still get swept away even with misspellings and character accents! Can't wait to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really hope I can get over the twang, because otherwise this sounds exactly like my kind of story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just too late to know about this book. When I took it from Galley Grab, it's about to expired. I think I am going to purchase my own copy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really used the word "gerund" in a book review! I LOVE it! Anyway, I loved this book too, and this was an excellent review- pretty much just how I felt. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book so much! It was such an amazing read! Saba was such a read character to me! I cannot wait to see where the sequels will go! SO excited for more! I can already tell this is going to be a book I read over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book was so amazing!! It had a little bit of everything, like you mentioned, and was so unconventional and surprising. I can't wait for the next book in the series!

    - Alyssa of Redhead Heroines

    Book Review of “Blood Red Road” by Moira Young

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...