Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Die for Me by Amy Plum Review

By Amy Plum
May 10, 2011
HarperTeen, 352 pages

In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

In this incandescent debut, newcomer Amy Plum has created a powerful paranormal mythology with immortal revenants. The Paris setting comes enchantingly alive as a relentless struggle between good and evil takes place in its streets. Rich with romance, atmosphere, and thrills, Die for Me will leave readers breathlessly awaiting its sequel.

— Amazon.com description

Maybe it’s because his name is Vincent. And because he’s French. But the male lead in this book is, to me, 100%, always and forever going to be:


Adrian Grenier.

Yes? No? Anyone?

This book was intriguing because it was the first I’d read about revenants. What are those? Oh, it’s complicated, but you’ll see. With the YA literature world so overrun by paranormal stories, it was nice to see something fresh.

And the setting! The Parisian backdrop of cafes and boardwalks was just…ooh-la-la.

Only…this book was uber-Twilighty. I enjoy the Twilight books. I do. But after them, I got over the insta-love, the “Sure, I will quickly and easily overlook the fact that you are DANGEROUS and kinda DEAD” thing. So, you know, that didn't do much for me here.

Some pros, some cons. But consistent fans of the paranormal genre will enjoy it. Many thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins for my review copy of this book.

You might also like: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Anna Reads young adult book blog

11 comments:

  1. great review. Thanks love. I hope you had an amazing long weekend. xoxo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    Don't forget to follow on twitter for all the latest celebrity fashion news.

    http://twitter.com/#!/fashboulevard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing a lot of good buzz about this one. I'm intrigued but I feel kind of burnt out on paranormal books right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just finished this book and you are dead on for Vincent. Love this new mental picture of him.

    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adrian is one of the hottest guys ever. Love. I'll add the book to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this book and agree it was very Twilight. I didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard it being referenced to Twilight quite a bit. Some have given it really great reviews. For whatever reason I just haven't jumped up to go buy it though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review..and I agree with your choice for Vincent. He'd be perfect. It was nice to see a fresh paranormal element instead of the usual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 100% agree with your review, like my notes most of this book were in reference to twilight and at one point I highlighted something Vincent said and wrote down next to it, Edward much?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy Plum choose the French-German actor Fran├žois Goeske for Vincent :)) Have a look:
    http://daisychainbookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/05/delightful-debutantes-17-amy-plum-die.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't had the luxury of reading the Twilight books so I can't draw the comparison but I enjoyed Die for Me. I agree on the insta-love (which felt more like obession than anything else to me) portion but because I liked the difference of the Revenant angle I was able to overlook it more. Wouldn't put this up on the "favorite series of all times" list though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...