Thursday, June 30, 2011

Firelight by Sophie Jordan Review

Firelight
By Sophie Jordan
September 7, 2010
HarperCollins, 336 pages

Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.

Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.


— Amazon.com description

Dragons? Normally something I’d make fun of.

But, okay, I'll admit it: In this book, the dragon part turned out to be the fresh take on the paranormal romance genre I’d been waiting for.

The suspense is killer, and the star-crossed romance – when doesn’t that make for a compelling read?

Jacinda, the reckless but brave and passionate star of the book, is just the type of main character that you’ll find yourself rooting for.

Is it a little love triangley? Sure. But what isn’t everything nowadays? And any book that can make me okay with reading about dragons has my praise. I’ll be reading the sequel, Vanish, when it’s out in September.


Anna Reads young adult book blog

15 comments:

  1. I don't have a huge problem with love triangles in theory. They can work out really well and add tension to the story. It just depends on how interesting the author makes the plot device.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I was pretty impressed by the writing in this book. Sophie is great with the smokin' hot chemistry between MCs. Enough so that I was able to forgive the love triangle. Mostly. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds kinda neat. But that cover...I love the way there's just enough around the eyes to make you curious about the book. Great cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always hesitant to read about dragons, too. Glad to hear it's good, though! Maybe I'll give it a shot now. :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked Firelight and will definitely read Vanish when it comes out. The dragons are a really exciting part of Firelight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked this book, too! DONDE ESTA, VANISH!?!??!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished this yesterday and really enjoyed it. The fact that she's a romance writer helps I think, because some of those scenes were just SO deliciously written. Even the non-steamy scenes were romantic.
    And I didn't feel like it was too love-triangley. When only one of the boys gets face time and the other one just pops up once in a while... it's hard to take it seriously as a triangle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book so much. I didn't think it was too love triangley at all, but then again I read it when it came out, and love triangles have definitely become bigger since then. Absolutely cannot wait for Vanish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book def sounds good. Gonna add it to my read list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds good, and I'm needing a new take on paranormal. Can't wait to read this one soon. I saw that you are reading Audrey Wait! AH, I hope you enjoy it. I loved that book so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you about the dragon thing...turned me off at first too. But then I read a few reviews where people enjoyed the book and loved the dragons. Glad to see another good review, it's sitting somewhere in the TBR pile at the moment, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As shocking as this is....lol.

    I'm right there with you! I was super skeptical about the dragon part of this book but I liked it a great deal. I thought the way Jordan infused it was brilliant. I'm looking forward to getting to the sequel in my pile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read this one yet... I'm skeptical about the dragon thing but again it's something different... and I love love triangles! I hope I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree! I liked this one a lot more than I expected too! It was awesome! Can't wait for Vanish!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...