Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Match Made in High School Review by Kristin Walker

By Kristin Walker
February 4, 2010
Razorbill, 288 pages

When the principal announces that every senior must participate in a mandatory year-long Marriage Education program, Fiona Sheehan believes that her life can’t get any worse. Then she marries her “husband”: jerky jock Todd, whose cheerleader girlfriend, Amanda, has had it in for Fiona since day one of second grade. Even worse? Amanda is paired with Fiona’s long-term crush, Gabe. At least Fiona is doing better than her best friend, Marcie, who is paired up with the very quiet, very mysterious Johnny Mercer.

Pranks, fights, misunderstandings, and reconciliations ensue in an almost Shakespearean comedy of errors about mistaken first impressions, convoluted coupling, and hidden crushes.

— Amazon.com description

Imagine a Saved by the Bell episode translated into a book. That is this book.

And I mean that as a compliment -- who didn't love Zach Morris?

It's like how a romcom movie translates perfectly to chick lit. This book is TGIF/Disney Channel translated to book. And, like I would with a 30-minute episode of Saved by the Bell, I laughed my butt off.

Listen, this book is predictable. It’s got kids from different backgrounds learning lessons and coming together and learning some MAJOR LIFE LESSONS and stuff like that.

But, I don’t know, I sort of loved it. It’s young, that’s for sure. But I laughed out loud and enjoyed the bubblegum pop-ness of it all.

YA readers should remember that this IS high school after all -- not everything has to be life and death and demons and angels.

You might also like: Love on the Lifts by Rachel Hawthorne

Anna Reads young adult book blog

14 comments:

  1. I absolutely adored this book. It was so fun and hilarious. I haven't laughed out loud at a book this much in a while. It could definitely be a Saved By The Bell episode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. this book is hilarious. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Saved By The Bell back in the day although to be honest I'd rather watch Boy Meets World. Mr. Feeny was way more awesome than Mr. Belding. That said I think this book is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your closing statement. Sometimes the drama of high school is enough in and of itself without being LIFE OR DEATH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved TGIF. And April, I agree, Boy Meets World was, for me, better than Saved By the Bell. But that said, it sounds like I'd really enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that sounds like a nice break from all the crazy intense books. Gotta have my fill of these high school drama books every so often. Sounds like a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad this one is good! I found a copy on clearance recently.

    Also, I never really watched Saved by the Bell so I am going to say BOY MEETS WORLD ALL THE WAAAAAAYYY.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "It's like how a romcom movie translates perfectly to chick lit"
    What a perfect description of this book! I didn't enjoy it as much as you did, but it was still a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boy Meets World always, always wins. Also, Jack Hunter > Zach Morris. I just don't like blonds :P (is that traitorous to my own kind?!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds fantastic!! Must read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved it too! Just a very sweet, cute, and fun book! :) You're been on the roll with reviews lately! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been meaning to read this book FOREVER. Your review is making me bump it up my to-read list. Sounds cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book was very unexpected and unpredictable, in the sense that Fiona did not end up with who I expected her to. I did like her character growth throughout the story, and the development of her relationships with Todd, Amanda, and the rest of the cheer squad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember Persnickity Snark absolutely loving this one last year; I'm still waiting to find it on the shelf at the library! Thanks for the reminder that this is a nead-to-read :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...