Friday, June 3, 2011

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson Review

By Jandy Nelson
March 9, 2010
Dial, 288 pages

Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life - and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey's boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie's own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide world exploding.

This remarkable debut is perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Francesca Lia Block. Just as much a celebration of love as it is a portrait of loss, Lennie's struggle to sort her own melody out of the noise around her is always honest, often hilarious, and ultimately unforgettable.

— Amazon.com description

This book MOVED me.

Okay, so where it moved me was mostly toward anger. But it was in a nice way, like, “Hey, this book is making me feel.” Which is kinda powerful stuff.

I don’t want to spoil you, but…stop reading if you don’t want a hint…it included two of my least favorite topics. Fill in the blanks for yourselves if you can. These topics anger me.

I had some bad names for the main character’s actions, but her personality? Loved it. The voice here is just…perfect. She thinks like I think, full of hyperbole. If you haven’t noticed, hyperbole is my FAVORITE. She doesn’t just fall in love -- she’s the first person to fall in love like this ever and the birds are chirping and following her around like Cinderella. This amuses me to no end.

So while the topic and themes didn’t appeal to me, I definitely recommend you read this book stat, as the writing and mastery of the teen voice were just superb. Bring on Nelson’s next book!

You might also like: A Map of the Known World by Lisa Ann Sandell

Anna Reads young adult book blog

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you liked it Anna! I thought it was freaking AMAZING!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely one of my fav contemps this year. I think the writing canceled out any bad feelings I had towards the character's actions. I lost myself in this book & loved every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very, VERY interesting that you were angered by the book, and still loved it... Makes for a very intriguing review, lol.

    2 of us have read it and loved it, 2 of us plan to. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed. This is a great book. And while I don't necessarily agree with her actions, it reminded me a little bit of the grief that Aura was feeling in Shift, if you catch my drift. It was fueled by grief. STILL inexcusable, especially considering the victim. (WHO WOULD DO THAT TO HIM!?!)

    Anyway, lovely review, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked it! I agree, it was moving ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book! She did not always make the best decisions, but it made for a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the next selection my middle daughter and I picked to read together :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Ginger, I adored the way this story was written. I felt the angst in the pit of my stomach almost the entire time. I too was able to overlook the questionable actions (though could see where they would fall where they did) because it was just so gorgeously written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really, really want to read this book! I've heard a lot of good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very, very interesting review! I started this one last week, read only a few pages of it and wasn't really in the mood for it, but now I think I'll pick it back up once I finish the book I'm reading now. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...