Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Top 10 Book Websites


It's Top 10 Tuesday (hosted at The Broke and the Bookish) and the topic is:
Top 10 Book-Related Websites


A little peek into my Internet bookmarks:

1. Amazon Wish Lists
A lot of people use GoodReads.com for this feature, but I set up my Amazon Wish List long ago and don’t have the energy to transfer it all over. It’s a long list, but at 280-ish books, that’s actually whittled down. Give it a look!

2. Anderson's event page
Anderson’s is an independent book shop out in the ‘burbs that is actually quite difficult for me to get to for weeknight events, but they have a great young adult selection and tons of authors are fans, so I try my best. If you click over to the “Authors” page in the sidebar, you’ll see a lot of pictures of me at author signings there. They do a wonderful job!

3. Chicago Public Library website
I cannot stress how much I recommend that you register for your local library’s online services, if it offers them. I use the CPL’s system to put books on hold -- usually five at a time – and it saves me a lot of time during my frequent trips to my neighborhood branch.

4. Publisher’s Weekly children’s section
A great resource for the latest news in the children’s publishing industry.

5. NetGalley
This is how I get many of my advanced reader’s copies, sent directly to my Kindle. Bonus: They are superstars when it comes to customer service.

6. Picnik
Believe it or not, I was a professional designer at one point (I edited/designed the front page for a big suburban newspaper right after college). So I can Photoshop till I drop, but Piknik is a lot easier sometimes when I have a quick graphic to make for the blog. Check it out if you’re ever in need of some quick photo editing.

7. & 8. Meg Cabot and Jen Lancaster’s blogs
These were the first author blogs I read. I love Meg, so that one is a given. But, surprisingly, I actually haven’t read anything by Jen Lancaster other than her blog. I should – and soon – because this blog is just a laugh riot. Plus, she’s a Chicagoan.

9. Google Calendar
A must for planning what I’m going to post each day. I know, this is a hobby, but it’s nice to keep my schedules organized. What up, OCD!

10. The Chicago Tribune’s books section and its Twitter account
The former journalist in me can’t resist analyzing any topic from a local perspective, and the Trib is the best place to do it. I love their news, features and reviews in print, but they’re doing a wonderful job online as well. Plus, they host the annual Printer’s Row Lit Fest, which was a real treat to visit earlier this summer. Look them up on Twitter @ChiReadsBooks.

13 comments:

  1. I'm looking at my bookmark dock right now in Google Chrome and smiling at the buttons for my two favorite libraries, with Goodreads smooshed in between. =)

    Fist pump to Amazon wish lists. My MIL and Dad demand that I use them for my birthday and Christmastime. They get no argument from me! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picnik sounds great. I'm off to check it out.

    Here's my list of favorite bookish spots: Top Ten Bookish Websites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today's meme has made my day! I am finding many great book related links. Thanks!

    Here is my Top Ten post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes to Picnik! It's where I create all my graphics (which people are surprised when I tell them lol). I don't know where I'd be without my google calendar. My life is in there. And I really should look in to my public library more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! Ginger was telling someone about Picnik on twitter the other day so I investigated. It's my new favorite toy. :D And my world revolves around my google calendar, without it the blog would have nothing on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard of Picnik forever ago and then I think I lost the bookmark to it or something. I am definitely going to check it out, because sometimes I'm too lazy to load Photoshop when I just want to do something simple.

    ( My Top Ten )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of google calendar, but prefer handwriting in an agenda, ha ha.

    And yay Picnik! I just started using that, mainly because I don't understand photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to see that your library and your newspaper are good resources.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i too prefer amazon wishlist to Goodreads. my books are in both places right now and i'm slowly transferring them over. and by slowly i mean it will probably take me until i'm 98.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've recently moved and haven't tried out my local library yet. Must get to it!

    Thanks for the list!

    My First Ever Top 10 Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. So interesting that you don't use Goodreads! I used to use Amazon a ton, but kind of switched over. I also love anything Google, although I mainly use Google docs to keep track of my review books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tip about Picnik - sounds like just what I need! :)

    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Bookish Websites, Organizations, Apps. Etc. post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...