Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Top 10 Settings in Books


It's Top 10 Tuesday (hosted at The Broke and the Bookish) and the topic is:
Top 10 Settings in Books


1. Paris (Die for Me by Amy Plum)
This is the most recent book I’ve read in which the setting just stole the show. The main character kept reading books at cafes, people watching and strolling secluded streets filled with cute shops. That’s a setting die for.


2. Hogwarts (Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling)
Do I even need to explain this? It’s magical! And, yes, I am going to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter this fall to experience it for myself. Mmm, butterbeer…

3. The Hunger Games arena(s) (The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins)
I don’t want to GO there or anything. But I dare you to tell me the arenas aren’t the coolest things to visualize since Biodome!



4. The Shire (The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien)
It was gorgeous in written word and perfectly captured onscreen in the Lord of the Rings movies.

5. The underwater world (Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs)
I was a BIG Little Mermaid fan as a child.


6. Greece (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares)
Santorini is my favorite place in the world.

7. Idris (City of Glass by Cassandra Clare)
I can’t even visualize this city, but it sounds visually spectacular.


8. The secret garden (The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett)
This was a childhood daydream of mine.

9. Cousins Beach (The Summer series by Jenny Han)
Who wouldn’t want a fancy schmancy beach house?


10. The road (The Road by Cormac McCarthy)
I don’t think I’ve ever read a book with a more powerful, dreary, desolate, moving setting.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

19 comments:

  1. Eeee I love the Secret Garden, I wish I had my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hogwarts! Yes. I think this one tops everyone's list :)

    Greece is an amazing pick. I've been to Santorini and it was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a kid, I wished I were a hobbit living in the The Shire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks! I also chose Paris, Cousins Beach, and the shire. Good idea picking the Secret Garden- I forgot about that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hogwarts, heck yes! The arenas in HG, er, not so much, although yes they are super cool to visualize (especially from Catching Fire). Paris yes, but we were thinking Anna and the French Kiss (maybe b/c we haven't read Die for Me). Also, the magical kingdom in Robin McKinley's Pegasus, please!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, the butterbeer at Wizarding World is surprisingly good. I didn't like the frozen version as much as just the draught version...but it tastes really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny, I was going to put The Road on my list too. It was just so intriguingly grim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paris, Hogwarts, the Shire and the Secret Garden! Great list! My book club is going to be reading The Road later this year and I'm intrigued by it now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! Mine would def include most of those.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Went to Harry Potter world over spring break! MUST GET FAST PASSES :)
    Also, I don't like butterscotch, but the drinks are amazing. I got frozen, but the whipped cream on top is really strong. You will want to go through Hogwarts at least ten times, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't picture Idris either - sometimes I get a bit - but it's awesome.

    Hogwarts is of course awesome.

    And I'd really rather be at Cousin's than here right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The setting in The Road is really vivid although there aren't many details. I love the images in your post.

    Check out my list here

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Road. Yes, absolutely.
    Also, Hogwarts, just because it is fun and way cool.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love, love, love the list! I'd live in Hogwarts in a heartbeat and, for me, Idris is so vivid I understand how Clare's shadowhunters long to be there so fiercely! I understand what you are saying about the Hunger Games... I'd never want to live in that world, but Collins describes it in a way that you feel like you have to see it in person. I hope the movie does it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved the Paris setting in Die For Me! And of course HP and Hunger Games!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...