Friday, June 17, 2011

Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter Review

Uncommon Criminals
By Ally Carter
June 21, 2011
Hyperion Book CH, 304 pages

Katarina Bishop has worn a lot of labels in her short life: Friend. Niece. Daughter. Thief. But for the last two months she’s simply been known as the girl who ran the crew that robbed the greatest museum in the world.

That’s why Kat isn’t surprised when she’s asked to steal the infamous Cleopatra Emerald so it can be returned to its rightful owners. There are only three problems. First, the gem hasn’t been seen in public in thirty years. Second, since the fall of the Egyptian empire and the suicide of Cleopatra, no one who holds the emerald keeps it for long — and in Kat’s world, history almost always repeats itself. But it’s the third problem that makes Kat’s crew the most nervous, and that is . . . the emerald is cursed.

Kat might be in way over her head, but she’s not going down without a fight. After all, she has her best friend — the gorgeous Hale — and the rest of her crew with her as they chase the Cleopatra around the globe, dodging curses and realizing that the same tricks and cons her family has used for centuries are useless this time. Which means, this time, Katarina Bishop is making up her own rules.


— Amazon.com description

When I reviewed the first book in this series, Heist Society, last August, I called it “Italian Job meets Gossip Girl!” It’s still so true. (See that review here.)

Smart chicks who like a little mystery and sneakiness and readers who liked the first book in this series must check out Uncommon Criminals when it comes out next week. It’s funny and the heists are so crazy smart. Like, really, Ally Carter? What have you stolen in real life? Because if you are NOT a thief, you totally could be.*

And, I know that I’m Ms. “But Does the Book Have Any Kissing?” but…I sort of love this whole will-they-or-won’t-they thing she set up in the first book between Kat and Hale. I’m not saying what happens in this book though. You shall see.

On Ally’s website, she says her hope is to set up the Heist Society books like Nancy Drew books – serial heists and mysteries that are resolved within the frame of one novel. I love this old-school setup and can’t wait to read more.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

*I know on logistical level that the methods described in this book couldn’t really help you break into Interpol headquarters. But heck if she doesn’t make you FEEL like it’s possible…

10 comments:

  1. Ally was SUPER cute and friendly at BEA and she said she loved my accent!! I can't wait to read Heist Society and then this one! WHOOPA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read this one! I loved Heist Society, so I'm excited!

    -Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm listening to it on audio right now :) LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What! There's an audiobook! That means I'll be able to download it from iTunes while I'm here in Spain! Squee!
    And Anna, I completely agree with you about how smart and/or cunning and sneaky Ally Carter must be in real life. And are you alluding that they're going to break into Interpol? Because that whould make me *even* more excited for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read Heist Society (or Uncommon Criminals, obviously), but I'm going to have to move them up on my TBR list since you like them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I WANT THIS BOOK SOOOO BAD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to have to finally get around to reading the first one, so I can get this one! I don't know what's taking me so long... I LOVE mysteries and heists and the like... but haven't read nearly enough of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read Heist Society last week and really enjoyed it. Getting this one tonight at her signing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hubs: "How's your book (UC)?" Me: "Awesome. I love Carter's writing. She includes Interpol. It's research-tastic."

    The next evening:

    *Both of us staying up late playing on our iPhones Wikipedia-ing Interpol*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...