Monday, July 18, 2011

Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz Review

Spellbound
By Cara Lynn Shultz

June 21, 2011
Harlequin, 352 pages

Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Conner, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.

But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.


— Amazon.com description

I’d place Spellbound into a category of books alongside Die for Me by Amy Plum and Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton. Quick paranormal reads with interesting main characters and premises.

I read a lot of these books -- loved their reincarnation themes -- but the problem is that I wouldn't describe any of them as “moving” or “shocking” or “life-changing.” Plus, Spellbound was so-so for me because of a slow pace and a little to many “honeys” and “sweethearts” from the romantic interest. I know I’m a romance freak, but that was just grating.

That being said, though, if this is your favorite genre, give it a look next time you’re at the bookstore.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

Book source: Ebook for review from Netgalley and Harlequin

13 comments:

  1. Hmm.. I trust your judgment with these types of Paranormals. Though I did really enjoy Unearthly when you suggested it to me, I may have to wait on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally disliked Die For Me, haven't read Angelfire yet, so I guess I will try this out, but it's not quite going to the top of the TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im not sure about this one. I have heard mixed reviews. I think I will still check it out but prob form the library and not buy it yet :) Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! I have this one on my Nook and with the baby/sweetheart thing I'm thinking I'm taking a pass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree...it was a fun, light read but just a little too easy for me. I like my puzzles to be at least 100 pieces, but this one was more like the 24 piece puzzles my 3yo can do in a couple of minutes. The romance was just too easy and perfect and not really what I was expecting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was not a fan of Die For Me, but did like Angelfire. I wonder where that puts me, lol.

    I hate it when the romantic interest uses too many sweethearts or honeys. It becomes to cliche for my taste. Why not something fun, like sugarbottom! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could NOT get through this one (and don't even get me started on Angelfire). Good to know I wasn't missing much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. im not sure about this one. I have heard mixed reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally disliked Die For Me, haven't read Angelfire yet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Romantic stories do inspire people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should give buying link to amazon too i think

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...