Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan Review

Will Grayson, Will Grayson
By John Green and David Levithan
April 6, 2010
Dutton Juvenile, 304 pages

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens - both named Will Grayson - are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history's most fabulous high school musical.

Hilarious, poignant, and deeply insightful, John Green and David Levithan's collaborative novel is brimming with a double helping of the heart and humor that have won both them legions of faithful fans.


— Amazon.com description

John Green + David Levithan = Pure goodness.

Sure, the goodness involves 16-year-olds spouting off a few words that even I, a professional word nerd, had to look up, but this is sort of what we all love and have come to expect from these brilliant authors. It’s like Dawson’s Creek, right? No one ever talked like that, but we all wanted to imagine that we, too, could be that charming and philosophical and cool.

This book is a love story, and though it involves romance – gay and straight! hooray! – it’s a love story about friendship. There are two Will Graysons in this book, but for me it was all about the friendship between "Original Will Grayson" and his best friend, Tiny “Too Fabulous to Sweat” Cooper. I love how Will describes his vision for their future friendship:

“I want you to come over to my house in twenty years with your dude and your adopted kids and I want our f****** kids to hang out and I want to, like, drink wine and talk about the Middle East or whatever the f*** we're gonna want to do when we're old."

Can I be their friend? I was chuckling aloud, and Will & Co. had me captivated throughout. I’d recommend this to fans of both authors, though not my favorite from either, so I wouldn’t pick it out as your first Levithan or Green read. First-timers should try An Abundance of Katherines and Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares.

Bonus: Will Grayson, Will Grayson introduced me to what is now officially my new favorite curse phrase ever: "f****** witch a** b**** mussolini al-qaeda darth vader non-entity."

Anna Reads young adult book blog

PS: For more updates, click here to check out AnnaReads.com on Facebook.

9 comments:

  1. I loved this book and thought it was hilarious. I also really admired their frienship. So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a long curse phrase! :) haha!

    I loved this book as well! I loved Tiny soooo much!

    Great review Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha wow. That is quite a mouthful! This book has been sitting on my shelf for too long. I need to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of my favorite reads this year. I laughed out loud through the whole book. I loved the foul mouth Sienfeld rifts. But through the laughing there is a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you liked this one, even though it did have it's Dawson's Creek moments. Tiny Cooper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm constantly jealous/in awe of the characters that John Green creates. i like to pretend i was that self-aware and amazing as a teenager...but the truth is i was not. i'm looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anna~

    I have heard good things about this one before but I just have not gotten to it. Now I want to move it up on the list. I own Paper Towns and An Abundance of Katherines that I not read that one yet either! I think I will start with AoK since you recommended it. Thanks!

    Oh, and that curse phrase = pure awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the only John Green book I haven't read yet! I must get it! I'm so glad you hear you enjoyed it :D

    Farrah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aren't Green and Levithan such a great pair? I loved this book. The two of them did such a great job with this book. I can't wait for more from bot of them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...