Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Anna's Mom Reviews Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdoch



Editor's note: See that nice blonde lady up there with the ecstatic grin on her face? That is my darling mother. She's smiling like that because she is standing in her FAVORITE PLACE IN THE WORLD, Usinger's Sausage in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Anyway, my mother is here today to review a book for you about her home state...

Dairy Queen
By Catherine Gilbert Murdoch

June 4, 2007
Graphia, 274 pages

When you don’t talk, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.

Harsh words indeed, from Brian Nelson of all people. But, D. J. can’t help admitting, maybe he’s right.

When you don’t talk, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.

Stuff like why her best friend, Amber, isn’t so friendly anymore. Or why her little brother, Curtis, never opens his mouth. Why her mom has two jobs and a big secret. Why her college-football-star brothers won’t even call home. Why her dad would go ballistic if she tried out for the high school football team herself. And why Brian is so, so out of her league.

When you don’t talk, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.

Welcome to the summer that fifteen-year-old D. J. Schwenk of Red Bend, Wisconsin, learns to talk, and ends up having an awful lot of stuff to say.


— Amazon.com description

I'm a WI girl. My favorite WI friend, Joan, told me I would like this book.

I did enjoy it immensely. I enjoy everything about farm life due to my favorite Aunt Marge, a farmwife.

But what's with this girl's parents? Why didn't they get this girl some farm help? Who would do that to their nice daughter?! Tsk.

Oh right, it's just a story, not really real.


12 comments:

  1. I seriously love this book. Tell your mom to read the sequels! Thank's for the review Anna's mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna's mom!! I will be invading your daughter's space in just a few days & can't wait!!! :-) Thanks for the lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Thanks for the review Anna's mom! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I love this! *waves to Anna's mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehe, Hi Anna's mom! Love your take on the book! Will you be doing more? And you should definitely read the other 2 books in the series! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOH! I love the cover of this book! Hi Anna's Mom! Great Review! :) *waves to Ms. Anna's Mom*

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE that your Mom posted on your blog. AND that she read this. Hi Anna's Mom! :)

    ~Asheley

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anna's Mom,
    I love this book and it's sequel. Great review! (I thought the same thing about needing some help on the farm!) :)

    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for such a short and sweet review! I know a teenage girl who lives in a more rural area of Illinois who'd probably love this book and will recommend it to her. Hope to see more reviews from mom here in the future! Or side by side mother-daughter reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, cute! I'm a WI girl too. Whoo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this book. It's really popular with my students... I think the Wisconsin setting has a lot to do with it :) The third one is my fav. I totally agree about the parents. Get the girl some help!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...