Friday, August 5, 2011

Flashback - My First Review Ever, Age 11


I'm turning back the dials today for a BIG flashback...all the way to 1996. I was 11, and I was a very, um, wordy child. My parents, looking for a creative outlet for my writing skills, signed me up for a "Young Reviewers" series at my local newspaper. That's how, I published my first "professional" book review.

We met at the Barnes & Noble, and the kids were given a group of books to choose from. Being quite civilized, I held back while the other kids rushed the stack of books. Unfortunately, that let me with "Thorston of Thunder Gulch," a book about the wild, wild West. I published this review, and my parents were appalled that I would write a negative review. Clearly, they did not know what would become of me...

"Young Reviewers: Way Too Violent" by Anna - March 24, 1996

Tod Thorson, a brave young man, has traveled far to Thunder Gulch, the town in Montana his later father, Lars Thorson, founded.
Thunder Gulch is lined with gold and death. As the new town sheriff, Tod must join up with a group of vigilantes to keep Thunder Gulch from getting any more mad with killing and to make sure it doesn't end up a ghost town.
This book is full of adventure, with a little bit of romance and mystery. "Thorson of Thunder Gulch" is long and uses adult language. "Thorson of Thunder Gulch" was written for older readers, ages 12-14.
This is a very violent book that I would not recommend to readers who dislike violence. This book shows that the Old West was a very dangerous place to live, unless you had experience protecting yourself from robbers, murders, revenge and people who knew too much of the truth.
It shows very little of the actual wild West, for instance, showing that every man in the West had killed at least one other person, who, in most cases, didn't deserve it!
Most of the town's problems are caused by Rory O'Doone, a road agent banished from the town, yet, who keeps showing up. Rory keeps showing up in town because he knows a secret that he's just dying to use for blackmail.
He's doing a good job of using his information until Tod Thorson gets involved!
I think that this book is way too violent. I would not recommend this book to any readers for other reasons: adult language, weak story line and not enough detail on some of the book's characters.

Is this not like Dear Diary Day take two? HILARIOUS. Oh, little Anna...

Anna Reads young adult book blog

6 comments:

  1. Wow girl you wrote this when you were 11. What a great review. You were def ment for this :) What do your parents think now. I am sure they are super proud. Thanks for the flashback to a younger you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's FANTASTIC! Haha, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be so hard on yourself. I think this is VERY well written, organized, and honest for an 11 year old! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I knew the word "vigilante" when I was eleven! Haha You also had better grammar that most (if not all) of the other eleven-year-olds I knew growing up. I think it's great you were so honest even at such a young age :)

    Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh, the birth of a book blogger! **sigh** good times. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...