Monday, August 29, 2011

Guest Post - Tera Lynn Childs and Sophie Jordan


Two authors I love, Tera Lynn Childs and Sophie Jordan, have new books coming out, and I'm thrilled to be a part of their blog tour with Big Honcho Media and Harper Teen. These ladies know their teen romance, so I'm letting them take the reins of the blog today to share some of the WORST romantic advice they've ever received...

Worst Romantic Advice - Sophie Jordan

I cannot tell you how many times I’ve been given this advice – especially during all those wedding-ish festivities (bridal showers, engagement parties, toasts at the wedding) – never go to bed mad.

Huh. *Angles head to the side contemplatively*

Now that seems like good advice, and therein lays the trick.

Never going to bed “mad” indicates that a couple will not rest until the issue is resolved. Now if it were simply that meaning, metaphorically, I’d have no complaint. But that’s not how people take its meaning. I (as do many others), understand it to mean: don’t go to sleep until the argument is settled. No matter what time of night, stay up until the fight is resolved.

Now that’s just sadistic. Yes, stay up late until you’re irrational with exhaustion. Until you’re so tired, you’re not even making sense anymore. Until you say things you regret and don’t mean. Um, yep. Good idea. The relationship will go far with nights like that. Instead of following this advice, I say: go to bed mad. Get some rest and look at it again in the morning with a clear head and fresh eyes – new clarity. Go to bed mad? Um … no. Of course, my characters in books don’t always follow this advice. Sometimes a time-out for bed would benefit them. But then I’m deliberately trying to make their lives harder and give them tons of conflict. That’s the fun with fiction and my job as a writer. I can be mean to my characters. ☺ I just don’t want that drama in my own life. I’ll leave it to the pages of my books.

Worst Romantic Advice - Tera Lynn Childs

When I was in graduate school, I had a classmate who was a few years older than me. One day we got started talking about guys, about romance and relationships and looking for the right guy. I mentioned that I had a kind of unofficial checklist of things I wanted in my perfect guy. Nothing outrageous or superficial. Things like sharing my same political and religious views, loving the theatre, longing for travel. Basic compatibility.

To this day I am shocked by my classmate’s response. “You’re going to have to lower your standards.”

I had no comeback for that, and if she said the same thing to me today, ten years later, I’d be just as dumbfounded. Now that I am the age she was then, I can confidently say that my opinion on this matter has not changed. Yes, my standards are high, but shouldn’t they be? Shouldn’t every girl’s standards be? I would rather be single and looking than settle for something less than I deserve. Less than I need.

I have to say that’s one piece of advice I will never ever take.

Thanks, ladies! Check out the next stop on the tour on Wednesday at The Book Binge. And, see the authors on their bookstore tour. Here are the upcoming stops:

  • September 7 @ 7 PM - Blue Willow Bookshop in Houston, TX
  • September 8 @ 7 PM - Books & Co in Dayton, OH
  • September 9 @ 7 PM - Magic Tree Bookstore in Chicago, IL
  • October 1 - Austin Teen Book Festival in Austin, TX

More About the Books:

SWEET VENOM

Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster. Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though. Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they’re triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful Gorgon maligned in myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.

VANISH

An Impossible Romance. Bitter Rivalries. Deadly Choices.

To save the life of the boy she loves, Jacinda did the unthinkable: She betrayed the most closely guarded secret of her kind. Now she must return to the protection of her pride knowing she might never see Will again—and worse, that because his mind has been shaded, Will’s memories of that fateful night and why she had to flee are gone.

Back home, Jacinda is greeted with hostility and must work to prove her loyalty for both her sake and her family’s. Among the few who will even talk to her are Cassian, the pride’s heir apparent who has always wanted her, and her sister, Tamra, who has been forever changed by a twist of fate. Jacinda knows that she should forget Will and move on—that if he managed to remember and keep his promise to find her, it would only endanger them both. Yet she clings to the hope that someday they will be together again. When the chance arrives to follow her heart, will she risk everything for love?

In bestselling author Sophie Jordan’s dramatic follow-up to Firelight, forbidden love burns brighter than ever.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

8 comments:

  1. I love Tera Lynn Child's worst romantic advice. I myself had a checklist as long as my arm as a way to protect myself from ever getting hurt again - and I ended up in a 3 year long-distance relationship before I moved to England to live with him (I'm Australian). So to Ms Childs I say, don't ever give up, and do NOT lower your standards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Is the check list real or metaphorical? Like, I think it's natural to want to date someone who isn't going to treat you like garbage and someone who you are physically attracted to, and I suppose I guess that's on everyone's checklists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also reading comprehension fail on my part. I just saw Tera said unofficial.

    And yeah compatibility is important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the advice! thanks for sharing ;) I can`t wait to get my hands on both books, I will be at their book signing in Ohio!!!
    heltondexter@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are bad advice. I agree your standards should be high, and i dont mean unreasonable but you def should look for what you want and deserve. You should never lower your values or morals. There is someone out there for everyone. Also i go to bed mad. Sometimes its just better that way to sleep on it and come back to when your not tired and fuming :) I agree with both of you again :)

    Thanks Anna for hosting these lovely ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone should have a checklist. That checklist should include compatibility issues, traits that you *know* will drive you crazy in the long run. Why not head off the potential drama early on?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone should have a checklist! I can't believe the class mate said to lower your standards. Keep your standards as high as you want! :)

    -Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes going to bed "mad" is a good thing. Meaning, it's better to step away and calm down before resolving issues. Great romantic advice. I've enjoyed Jordan's series and am looking forward to Sweet Venom!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...