Monday, August 22, 2011

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins Review

Lola and the Boy Next Door
By Stephanie Perkins

September 29, 2011
Dutton Juvenile, 384 pages
Source: Borrowed from the lovely & generous Michelle

In this companion novel to Anna and the French Kiss, two teens discover that true love may be closer than they think

For budding costume designer Lola Nolan, the more outrageous, the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola's style is outrageous, she's a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins move back into the house next door.

When the family returns and Cricket -- a gifted inventor and engineer -- steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.


— Amazon.com description

I hate it when everyone is all “OMG READ THIS BOOK” and it’s not even published yet. It’s gross and off-putting. So, you know, pardon me when I say:

OMG READ THIS BOOK.

I know, HYPE. Honestly, I wasn’t the biggest fan of the main characters in Perkins’ first book Anna & The French Kiss. But her writing – you guys, it’s so wonderful. Her voice is crisp and clear as an author, and her story-telling is pure hilarity.

But her second book, Lola & the French Kiss…I seriously put it down and said out loud “This is the PERFECT book for me.” Comedy, romance, off-beat characters. What’s not to love?

Plus, Cricket. Yes, that’s the boy’s name. But I just. I mean. I can’t even. No words. And she has two gay dads, for heaven’s sake! I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS.

And even though I didn't originally like Anna and St. Clair, they grew on me in this book. Yes, that's right, you heard me: They've back as supporting characters and, frankly, more hilarious than ever.

I put the book down and then turned back to page 1 to immediately reread it. I’ve already preordered my own copy, and was seriously tempted to also order a copy for everyone I know. If you like romantic comedy contemporary reads, I have to say: This books is tops!

Anna Reads young adult book blog

18 comments:

  1. I LOVED this book as well!!! And I'm a huge fan of the first book. This one definitely holds up to the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhh! I can't wait to get my mits on a copy too!!!! So many books that aren't out yet *sighs* but so glad you liked it! ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for the release of this book! Love the cover - so CUTE. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I really enjoyed this one. Perkins does know how to write a contemporary doesn't she? I still liked Anna more but the degree of difference is so slight it barely matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently read this book and also loved it because of all of the awesome, quirky characters and I loved that Lola's dads were actually a part of her life (like requiring that she calls and checks in with them hourly when she's out), unlike how in many YA books the parents are always unrealistically absent.

    I can't wait until the end of next month when I can purchase a copy for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO glad to hear you liked this! I did like ANNA, but I didn't understand the CRAZY hype (I wasn't head over heels for Etienne) but now I'm super excited for LOLA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I can not WAIT for Lola!! Thanks for the review it just makes me even more excited. I adored Anna and there has been such great things said about Lola oh come on September already!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, talk about a glowing review. So glad to hear you liked it, because we loved Anna and are dying for this "sequel." Thanks for sharing the love! (It helps tide us over during the wait. ;P)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As this comes out a week after my birthday, I think I'll have to pre-order it as a b-day prezzie for myself. I loved Anna, and can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed a thousand times over. However - I found Anna & St. Clair to be a bit annoying in Lola's story :-\ I could have done without some of that. But it's always nice to see what past characters are up to these days.

    LOVE ME SOME CRICKET.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jelous that you've read this already! Your review has made me more excited to get my hands on a copy if that were possible. I have already preordered my copy and am counting down the days.

    Cricket sounds awesome, and I can't wait to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cannot describe my excitement for this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know how much I loved this one. I'm SO HAPPY YOU LOVED IT TOOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My reaction to this one was pretty much flip-flopped from yours -- loved Anna and St. Clair so much, but had a tough time connecting with Lola and Cricket! Though he was definitely swoonworthy, I didn't absorb this one the way I did with Anna. Still, a good read -- glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved this book! Cricket is the perfect guy. Nice review, Anna! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how I long for this book. I mean a boy named Cricket. Can't wait to meet & buy at The Austin Teen Book Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to get my hands on this book!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...