Friday, August 26, 2011

The Mephisto Covenant by Trinity Faegen Review

The Mephisto Covenant
By Trinity Faegen

Sept. 27, 2011
EgmontUSA, 448 pages
Source: Review copy

Sasha is desperate to find out who murdered her father. When getting the answer means pledging her soul to Eryx, she unlocks a secret that puts her in grave danger—Sasha is Anabo, a daughter of Eve, and Eryx’s biggest threat.

A son of Hell, immortal, and bound to Earth forever, Jax looks for redemption in the Mephisto Covenant—God’s promise he will find peace in the love of an Anabo. After a thousand years, he’s finally found the girl he’s been searching for: Sasha.

With the threat of Eryx looming, Jax has to keep Sasha safe and win her over. But can he? Will Sasha love him and give up her mortal life?


— GoodReads description

The Mephisto Covenant has a lot of potential. The concept and mythology here are solid. It’s good stuff that fans of books like Angelfire would probably really take to. Unfortunately, it wasn’t up my alley.

Why? Instalove alert! The romance here was too strong and too sudden. It has a Twilighty feel to it: They love each other eternally, though they only just met and know nothing about one another, there’s a lot of lust involved, and the guy gets all creeptastic.

This type of stuff gets me all riled up and feministy.

But the thing is, I think many people would probably love this. I guess I just want to tell the book, "It's not you, Mephisto, it's me. I hope we can still be friends." Has anyone else read this yet? Agree? Disagree? Let me know!

Anna Reads young adult book blog

9 comments:

  1. I read this book a few weeks ago and I really liked it! But I did feel that the romance was kinda rushed and I wished that it took a little longer for them to get together!

    happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard the best things about this one...I don't think I'll be reading it. Uh oh, he is creepy!? That's no good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really feel like only Twilight is allowed to be stalkery. Any other book can't pull it off as well. Maybe it's because Edward had a bouffant and no one else does. Hmm, things to ponder. Either way, I have this, but I'm in no rush to read it :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm waiting for this one to arrive, so I've not read it yet, but I agree with Jen, only Twilight can pull off the stalkery. I've heard a lot of mixed things about the book, and despite that I'm still looking forward to reading it just to see what everyone is talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your honesty. Instalove is not for me. I like my romance filled with TENSION and INTENSITY. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not agree more! My review of this book is very similar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dress... I want it... I NEED it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh. I love mythology but the twilightly instalove with a guy who's creeptastic makes me want to pass on this one. However, I am glad that you did an honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, kinda bummed about that. I have this one to read but haven't yet had the opportunity. I'm likely still going to read review it but perhpas it will be quicker knowing the love story won't necessarily be all that & a bag of chips.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...