Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Top 10 Books Underrated Books



It's Top 10 Tuesday (hosted at The Broke and the Bookish) and the topic is:
Top 10 Books Underrated Books


Anything by Justina Chen, namely Girl Overboard

Everybody thinks Syrah is the golden girl. After all, her father is Ethan Cheng, billionaire, and she has everything any kid could possibly desire, right down to a waterfront mansion, jet plane, and custom-designed snowboards. But most of what glitters in her life is fool's gold. Her half-siblings hate her, her best friend Adrian's girlfriend is ruining their friendship, and her own so-called boyfriend is after her for her father's name. When her broken heart results in a snowboarding accident that exiles her from the mountains—the one place where she feels free and accepted for who she is, not what she has—Syrah must rehab both her busted-up knee, and her broken heart, and learn that she's worth her weight in real gold. (GoodReads)


North of Beautiful

It's hard not to notice Terra Cooper.

She's tall, blond, and has an enviable body. But with one turn of her cheek, all people notice is her unmistakably "flawed" face. Terra secretly plans to leave her stifling small town in the Northwest and escape to an East Coast college, but gets pushed off-course by her controlling father. When an unexpected collision puts Terra directly in Jacob's path, the handsome but quirky Goth boy immediately challenges her assumptions about herself and her life, and she is forced in yet another direction. With her carefully laid plans disrupted, will Terra be able to find her true path? (GoodReads)
Just Like That by Marsha Qualey

Things change so suddenly. One day Hanna has a long-term boyfriend; the next, she realizes she doesn’t have strong feelings for him and breaks up with him. one day Hanna trusts her two best friends completely; the next, all of that trust is toppled. And then Hanna finds herself the bearer of a major secret: she was the last person to see two teenagers before they died in an accident on the icy lake. she can’t tell anyone, so when Hanna finds herself drawn to will, the elusive boy she’s noticed around town, the kind of boy who’d increase any girl’s pulse, she doesn’t hold back. what she learns about him will astonish her. but what she learns about herself—her friendships, her family, her life—will affect her far more. (Amazon)


A Map of the Known World by Lisa Ann Sandell

Cora Bradley dreams of escape. Ever since her reckless older brother, Nate, died in a car crash, Cora has felt suffocated by her small town and high school. She seeks solace in drawing beautiful maps, envisioning herself in exotic locales. When Cora begins to fall for Damian, the handsome, brooding boy who was in the car with Nate the night he died, she uncovers her brother's secret artistic life and realizes she had more in common with him than she ever imagined. With beautiful lyricism, Sandell weaves a tale of one girl's journey through the redemptive powers of art, friendship, and love. (Amazon)



Pucker by Melanie Gideon

Thomas Quicksilver, known to his classmates as "Pucker," has always been an outsider. His crazy mother, the secret of his family’s strange origins, and above all, the terrible scars on his face from a childhood fire—these things have kept Thomas isolated and alone.

Now, at seventeen, a quest to save his dying mother takes Thomas back to his birthplace, an alternate world called Isaura from which he and his mother were exiled years earlier. In Isaura, Thomas’s scars will be magically healed. He will fall in love for the first time. And he will face a devastating, impossible choice.

In shimmering prose, Melanie Gideon’s new novel takes readers from the lonely places in a boy’s soul to a miraculous world of infinite possibility and frightening temptation. (Amazon)


The Thief (and its sequels) by Megan Whalen Turner

After Gen's bragging lands him in the king's prison, the chances of escape look slim. Then the king's scholar, the magus, needs the thief's skill for a seemingly impossible task -- to steal a hidden treasure from another land.

To the magus, Gen is just a tool. But Gen is a trickster and a survivor with a plan of his own. (Amazon)

Sooo here’s the thing I realized in trying to create this list: I read a lot of “blockbuster” books. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but…I’m going to put forth an effort in the future to spend more time looking out for and reading the “under the radar” books.

Then again, maybe you guys are all like, “Duh, Anna, of course we know about these books already…"

Anna Reads young adult book blog

21 comments:

  1. I've read North of Beautiful & The Thief books & I think they definitely deserve a place on this list! Great books. Of The Thief novels, I think The King of Attolia is my favorite. It's been almost a year since I've read it & I still can't get over that scene that involves 6 months... Seriously... How fantastic is that?!

    I'll have to take a look at these other titles! They sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you decided to write about Justina Chen Headley. I discovered North of Beautiful one day in the library and went on to stalk her other books. I've reread it a ton of times since then as well. I'd also recommend Nothing but the Truth (and a Few White Lies), which features a half white, half Asian (hapa) girl who feels caught between two worlds. Still waiting on A Map of the Known World, but it seems like naughty gremlins have placed it on the wrong shelf...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read North of Beautiful! I'm glad it's on your list. I've been seeing it around for a while and I need to get around to picking it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these - I have North of Beautiful and Map of KNown World on my list to read, I just haven't gotten to them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the sound of A Map of the Known World by Lisa Ann Sandell. It sounds like a read that would get me thinking. THanks for posting a great list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same issue when making my list, I discovered I read mostly "blockbuster" books as well. It took quite a bit of thinking before I could come up with the books for my list.

    I actually haven't read any of the books that you've mentioned but I definitely plan on checking some of them out. I'm especially intrigued by "The Thief" and "Pucker". I'm adding them to my wishlist right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yay, I always get so excited when someone talks about North of Beautiful because I try to push it on everyone. It's amazing. I haven't read Girl, Overboard yet, but I really need to. I'm scared I won't like it as much as North of Beautiful, but I should really try it. Pucker also sounds amazing. I actually hadn't heard of most of these books, so either I haven't been paying attention or they're not that blockbuster. :) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only heard of North of Beautiful so I think I need to check out the other books you listed... I need to branch out and read the not-so-popular books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved The Thief and the sequels! I'm glad to see it on your list :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choices! You totally nailed it for me for books I've never read before. I loved North of Beautiful but the others ones I've barely seen on Goodreads. Thanks for putting them on my radar. :)

    Here's my Top Ten: http://bit.ly/qqOf7F

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read any of these book yet but they all look amazing. That is why I love this week's question; I get to hear about books that normally don't come across my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just read a review of North of Beautiful today. I have so many books on the TBR it's a bit freakish, but having it on your list definitely pushes it to my virtual TBR, too.

    Okay, confession time. I tried to read The Thief, but ended up putting it down. I know, it's only like 12 pages long, but still. I was in Nashville and I was sitting next to the pool at a hotel and it was like Sweatfest 2011 and I guess I couldn't concentrate with all the sweat dripping into my eyes or something. Anyhoo. I plan on picking it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. THe Thief is on my summer reads pile and I haven't gotten to it yet. Argh. So many books...

    Anne
    My Head is Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some of these I haven't read/heard of, others I have. Just Like That is really really good -- so glad you like it too.

    Here's my IMM.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I realised that I read a lot of "Blockbusters" too... not sure if I'm meant to feel bad about that or not lol.

    "Pucker" has a beautiful cover :)

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really loved North of Beautiful and actually included it on my list too. I really need to read other works by Justina Chen Headley

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for Justina Chen! North of Beautiful was one of my fav books. I really need to read Overboard. I hope she writes another book soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great picks, I definitely agree with North of Beautiful. I guess I need to read Girl Overboard.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have Girl Overboard in my LMC. I'll have to check it out. I ADORE The Thief and the books that follow! Also, North of Beautiful is a great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just added Just Like That to my wishlist and downloaded Pucker to my Nook. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  21. please read The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima, the second book is 100000 times better!!
    so underated and AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...