I'd like to take a moment to introduce you to Rookie, an online magazine that launched this month and is run by a ton of kick-butt ladies.
The goal? "Rookie is a place to make the best of the beautiful pain and cringe-worthy awkwardness of being an adolescent girl."
Um, heck yes. It's an online magazine for teens...run by a teen. The editor-in-chief is 16-year-old Tavi Gevinson, the blogger behind Style Rookie. Don't know Tavi? Think Anna from Anna and the French Kiss. Tavi started her own fashion blog at the age of 13, featuring her daily outfits, thoughts and beautiful writing. Now, she's the darling of Vogue and has Interwebs followers galore.
Bonus: The "fairy godmother" of the website is Jane Pratt, the founding editor of Sassy and Jane, so you know it's gonna be good.
SERIOUSLY! And you know I love it because this is an issue that's especially prevalent in YA literature. Why does everyone always have to backstab and hate?
So, let's hear it for the LOYAL literary girl friends, who set a really positive example for teen readers and needed to be applauded. A few suggested examples from my Twitter friends (including some repeats so you KNOW they're good!)...
- thebookcellarx: Vee from Hush Hush
- ohjellybean: Jessica and Hope from the Jessica Darling series, Scarlett and Halley from Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen, Morgan and Isabel from Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen, Rose & Lissa from Vampire Academy
- MarissaOdom: Megan from Shade & Shift by @jsmithready Tess from Dreaming Anastasia & Haunted by @joypreble
- likepenguins: traveling pants? They never backstab.
- kfarlie: the girls from sisterhood of the traveling pants
- GReadsBooks: Victoria from Audrey, Wait! Dare I say the obvious? Hope from the Jessica Darling series.
- La_demoiselle: Vee from the Hush, Hush series
- yacrush: I love Tina Hakim Babe from the Princess Diaries series. Best buddy ever!
- makeshiftjen: Megan from the Shade/Shift series!
- ExLibris_Kate: the best friend in Hourglass & Starcrossed. Crave also had a very loyal BFF
- NatzKerr: rose and lissa in VA.... :)
Leave me a comment with your favorite empowering female friendship from literature and be sure to check out Rookie!