Thursday, September 29, 2011

Ruby Oliver Books by E. Lockhart Review


Source: Library, my Kindle, Ginger

E. Lockhart’s spot-on dialogue and descriptions of painfully but hilariously relatable situations make this young adult novel an addictive read.

Fifteen-year-old Ruby has had a rough ten days. During that time she:

* lost her boyfriend (#13 on the list) 

* lost her best friend (Kim) 
* lost all her other friends (Nora, Cricket) 
* did something suspicious with a boy (#10)
* did something advanced with a boy (#15)
* had an argument with a boy (#14)
* had a panic attack
* lost a lacrosse game (she's the goalie)
* failed a math test (she'll make it up)
* hurt Meghan's feelings (even though they aren't really friends)
* became a social outcast (no one to sit with at lunch)
* had graffiti written about her in the girls' bathroom (who knows what was in the boys'!?!)

But don't worry—Ruby lives to tell the tale. And make more lists.


-- Amazon.com description for The Boyfriend List, Book 1

Oh Ruby, you hilarious fool you.

She’s the type of girl you laugh with, you root for. But secretly at the same time you’re all: “Darling child, you are making bad decisions! Do you not see the train wreck that is your life?!”

Clearly not. I mean, she IS a teenager, what do you expect?

These books took me back to a time when my life was all friends, frenemies, flirtation and FREAKING OUT. If you cannot relate to these books…you were clearly popular. And had very gorgeous, clear skin and boyfriends galore who treated you like a princess and friends who weren’t bitches behind your back. And I hate you.

For those of us who SUFFERED as teenagers (aka 99.9% of the population), these books are the best ever. Do you remember having random crushes on boys just because they looked at you once in the hallway? I do, and I called him Smile Boy because I didn’t know his name but he SMILED AT ME and that mattered and I thought about him constantly. Along with about 10 other boys. If you had hormones, you probably had a “boyfriend” list.

So, teenagers current and teenagers of years past, read these books. You’ll laugh, you’ll get a little mad, and you’ll get right to the heart of what it means to be a young, painfully-almost-but-not-quite adult.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

7 comments:

  1. I feel like I could fall in love with these books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ruby... LOVE these books <3 so glad you read them & we can have numerous chats about them. I had a Smile Boy, too :-) Just seeing him in the hallway at school was such a highlight of my day! I miss those feelings sometimes, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I love these books!! They are just so awesome and absolutely hilarious. I actually think I should re-read them sometime in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cleary, I need to read this books. Books like this are my comfort reads. I don't know what it is about them, but I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved these books! I pretty much read them all in one weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this may be my favorite review ever. You summed this series up so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was exactly how I felt about the book too! The whole "girl, can't you see the train wreck!" part...spot on!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...