Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs Review


Sweet Venom
By Tera Lynn Childs

Sept. 6, 2011
Katherine Tegen Books, 352 pages
Source: Publisher

Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they’re triplets, s
upernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.
These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful Gorgon maligned in myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.


— Amazon.com description

I cannot remember the last time I so thoroughly enjoyed a book told from three point of view. Normally I hate at least one of the characters and want to skip through her section. But not here! In Sweet Venom, I was genuinely entertained throughout.

I mean, HELLO, it’s Tera Lynn Childs. C’mon. I’ve read enough of her books to know it’s bound to be delightful.

The story follows three triplets who were separated at birth and are able to see icky, creepy monsters lurking among humans. Um, ick. I swear, I was skeeved out and looking behind my shoulders for a few days.


Anyway, though I didn’t like all the sisters (I’m looking at you, Greer!), I’m super pumped to find out what happens to them next. YES, it is a bit of a cliffie and it’s clearly Book 1 of a series, but it’s a fun, entertaining setup, and you’ll want to read more.

Also, it’s based on Greek mythology, but it didn’t totally didn't make me feel like: “QUICK! NAME HADES’ TALENTS AND CHILDREN AND WHO IS THE GOD OF PEANUT BUTTER? YOU DON'T KNOW? HA, IN YOUR FACE, STUPID!” Basically all other mythology-based books make me feel this way, and no one wants to feel like they’re in the middle of a sixth-grade pop quiz they didn’t study for. So, you know, kudos. Check this book out!

Anna Reads young adult book blog

7 comments:

  1. I wondered why the book cover made her hair look like it was sort of coming alive, but then when I got to the Medusa part I understood :-) Sounds pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this book! I can not wait to read the rest of the sequel. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books that contain mythology! I have heard a lot of good things about this book :-)

    Also, I love the picture you chose to illustrate your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always make me laugh! I'm not a fan of and don't know much about mythology. So, when I see a story based on mythology, I'm like, "well, as long as you are going to tell me what I need to know. Don't expect me to come in with any kind of pre-knowledge." (Like you said, no pretest required!) Great review. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol i thought gretchen was a just a little too mean/rough with greer. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been really interested in reading this book, and this is one of the first reviews I've read for it. I'm glad it's not too Greek mythology in your face! I definitely felt that way at times reading Starcrossed.

    Plus, I love the spin on this idea that's super popular right now in YA. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just finished and I liked it a lot! I'm really excited for the 3rd book. Grace wins for my fav sis.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...