Monday, October 10, 2011

Eve by Anna Carey Review

Eve Anna Carey book coverEve
By Anna Carey

Oct. 4, 2011
HarperCollins, 336 pages
Source: BEA

Where do you go when nowhere is safe?

Sixteen years after a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth’s population, the world is a perilous place. Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a future as the teachers and artists of the New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school’s real purpose—and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Arden, her former rival from school, and Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust . . . and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

— Amazon.com description

I think you can measure the strength of a book in terms of how much you’re just bursting at the seams to talk about it afterward. And after I finished Eve, I just couldn’t shut up.

Thankfully, the day after I read it, my friend Lisa Is Busy Nerding wrote me: “Can we talk about it? I NEED to talk to someone about it!”

Thus started a massive email chain, with comments from me including:
“AHHH IT WAS THE WILD!
"WHAT UP UNDERGROUND RAILROAD!"
“BUT HOW DID HE GET GAS??????????????? Think about it.”
And from Lisa:
“SERIOUSLY about the gas.”
“I was really worried it'd be all ‘I got away and I met a boy and LET'S SCREW THE SYSTEM’ but it's so much deeper than that, and I'm digging it”
“My heart can't take holding it all in!”
Then Ginger read it too and it started all over again via chat:
me: i mean, if a shirtless boy riding up on a horse and saving a girl lost in the woods is antifeminist, then I DONT CARE I LOVE IT*
Ginger: i freaking loved it
it had every thing i adore in a book like that
suspense
tension
intrigue
me: a little murder
dead bodies lying around
I LOVE THIS SHIZZ
me: AND THE BOYS DONT KNOW WHAT LOVE IS, G. THEY DONT KNOW! heart. break.
Ginger: oh dear lord
I'm hoping these fangirly convos and the amount of ALL CAPS we used speak volumes. Sure, Eve has its shortcomings, but it's still a quick, engaging, thrilling read. Check it out, and if you feel the same way afterward, I'm here to talk!

Anna Reads young adult book blog

9 comments:

  1. Lol I had the same issue with the gas thing. It's like h drove miles and miles and didn't need to refuel once? That was some car. I loved the book though an totally did no expect to find out what we did about Califia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahah oh how i love these convo reviews. but seriously, need to read this badboy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's probably one of the best recommendations out there ;]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this book. Y'alls convo = hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your review made me LOL! I haven't read Eve yet, though it has been on my TBR list. Your review is the first really positive one I've seen for it, and I'm so glad someone liked, because I'm pretty sure I still want to read, after reading more negative reviews than positive reviews. Plus, I think I need to read it just to find about this gas situation you guys are talking about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! I love those fangirling moments! I didn't have the same reaction to this book in particular, but I definitely understand the need to talk to someone about a book that just BLEW YOUR MIND.

    - Alyssa of Redhead Heroines
    Book Review of “Eve” by Anna Carey

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...