Thursday, October 6, 2011

How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford

How to Say Goodbye in Robot
By Natalie Standiford

December 1, 2010
Scholastic Paperbacks, 288 pages
Source: Chicago Public Library

From bestselling author Natalie Standiford, an amazing, touching story of two friends navigating the dark waters of their senior year.

New to town, Beatrice is expecting her new best friend to be one of the girls she meets on the first day. But instead, the alphabet conspires to seat her next to Jonah, aka Ghost Boy, a quiet loner who hasn't made a new friend since third grade. Something about him, though, gets to Bea, and soon they form an unexpected friendship. It's not romance, exactly - but it's definitely love. Still, Bea can't quite dispel Jonah's gloom and doom - and as she finds out his family history, she understands why. Can Bea help Jonah? Or is he destined to vanish?


— Amazon.com description

I met Natalie Standiford in May. We were in a crowd at the Scholastic bookstore in New York City, and my friend Carla goes "Look! It's Natalie!" We went over to her and introduced ourselves, and she didn't find us creepy in the least, which says a lot because Carla and I can be a little...enthusiastic.

Okay, back to the story. THIS BOOK. You guys, this book!!!!!

First off, please do not read this on an eReader. The print version was just gorgeous. From the type to the pink chapter covers...it was such a lovely, tactile reading experience.

This is clearly the work of a genius. From beginning to end, every little nuance is filled with pure quirkiness that's equally heartbreaking and hilarious. I don't digest heartbreak very well, but the quirk was so endearing and amusing that it went down a little easier than normal.

It's a love story, but not a romantic one. Bea and Ghost Boy are painfully platonic, but they love one another nonetheless. And as we all know, friendship can be the most complex of relationships. I highly recommend this thoughtful, witty look at some raw and very human emotions.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

7 comments:

  1. This was one of my top favourite reads of 2011, and definitely in my top 10 of all time. Love, love, love this book so hard <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not been attracted to this book before, but now I am. And more so after reading Becca's comment above. This is going on my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book. Definitely quirky and full of raw emotion! Especially enjoyed all the radio show segments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved, loved, loved this book and would put it in my top 5 all-time favorites. I'm so glad you loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness this book right? THIS BOOK!! Wasn't it just blow your head off fantastic.....i bloody love it! And YAYYYY NATALIE! So glad that we got to meet her, you should for sure read the confessions of the sullivan sisters too because that book is like prime time baby! and I am continuing to freak out at our shared thoughts about books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. first of all i should probably mention how I AM WRITIHING WITH ENVY THAT YOU ARE READING HALLOWED! my god i want to read that book SOOOO hard it hurts.

    uh, yeah, anyway.

    this book is vvveerryyy high on my list of MUST-ACQUIRE-ASAP but i'm having a very difficult time getting my hands on a copy. and your review just made me want to read it more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wasn't this just an awesome book? I completely agree that there is just as much love in a friendship as there is in a romance. This one had it in spades!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...