Monday, November 7, 2011

Books I Reluctantly Read (And Loved!)



It's Top 10 Tuesday (hosted at The Broke and the Bookish) and the topic is
Top 10 Books I Read That Were Out of My Comfort Zone


Soo, turns out I pretty much only read books in The Anna Zone -- teen books with a touch of romance. Ahhh, well, you gotta stick with what you like, right? Anyway, I was able to cobble together a short list of a few books I tried in the past few years that I was reluctant to try but really enjoyed anyway...


I thought this was going to be a "boy book," but I really enjoyed it.


My first foray into romance novels. This was very smart and funny, which surprised me.


Oprah made me read it, but I sort of loved it.


I was so scared of books written in verse...until I tried this. A very gritty but swoony romance.


A grown-up book my book club made me read. But, despite all the death and pus involved, it's been my favorite of our picks so far.


This might surprise you, but I was super judgey of vampire books. Thank God I got over it and started this series.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

13 comments:

  1. I love historical romance - a lot of it is super cheesy/bodice rippery nonsense, but there are some real fantastic hidden finds. Glad to see you enjoyed one of them, I LOVE Sarah MacLean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Year of Wonder, too. And there was a bunch of gross stuff in that book.

    Anne@My head is full of books

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Death and pus"--there's a lovely mental picture. :>
    JNCL
    The Beauty of Eclecticism

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shipbreaker sounded appealing to me from the start but I have to say it wasn't as great as I anticipated it to be. I still enjoyed it but don't know that I'm inclined to read the follow up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Vampire Academy too! Sadly it didn't make my list as I'd been in to vampires for ages by then :)

    My top ten is here if you'd like a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol I was never judgey of vampire books...I loved them from the beginning :P Cool list though! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Sarah Maclean! Granted, I only read the first book in her love by the numbers, but still it was awesome.

    And Shipbreaker! That book was LEGIT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "with a touch of romance" - um I'm pretty sure the stuff you like to read is doused in romance! haha and you will forever be linked to the Vampire Academy + stick figures!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Death and pus eh? This must have been my pre-book club days lol...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sooo reluctant to read Ship Breaker. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah MacLean is one of my favorite authors! I definitely loved that series. And her YA novel The Season is pretty awesome as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not a romance novel reader either, but i have hear that sarah maclean's series are good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yayyyyyyyyy for sarah maclean! i associate her with you now because we met her at bea! her books are srsly hot, i actually don't have my copy of 9 rules anymore. it went around all of my friends and all the glue and stuff cam away from overuse! haha

    also shipbreaker! need to get on that one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...