Friday, November 11, 2011

Bunheads by Sophie Flack Review

Bunheads
By Sophie Flack

Oct. 10, 2011
Poppy, 304 pages
Source: Publisher

On-stage beauty. Backstage drama.

As a dancer with the ultra-prestigious Manhattan Ballet Company, nineteen-year-old Hannah Ward juggles intense rehearsals, dazzling performances and complicated backstage relationships. Up until now, Hannah has happily devoted her entire life to ballet.

But when she meets a handsome musician named Jacob, Hannah's universe begins to change, and she must decide if she wants to compete against the other "bunheads" in the company for a star soloist spot or strike out on her own in the real world. Does she dare give up the gilded confines of the ballet for the freedoms of everyday life?


— Amazon.com description

I can’t dance worth a damn. But, damn, I love dance movies. Save the Last Dance! Dirty Dancing! Center Stage!

I was hoping my love would transfer over to books, but that wasn’t quite the case with Bunheads.

I really applaud what Sophie Flack was doing with this book – it’s sort of a sneaky insider’s look into the world of dance. I mean, who would tell this story better than a former NYC ballerina?

But the emotional connection just wasn’t there for me. The plot moved a little bit from “this happened” to “then this happened.” If you do have a strong interest in the innerworkings of the dance world, though, I think you’ll get more out of this than I did.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

8 comments:

  1. ohhh nooooooo!!! i have a serious obsession with dance movies, i mean i can't get enough. even when they are bad i'm like crazy intensely interested! and well, we share the same book brain so you know how i'm going to feel about this one already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I'm careful reading books like these. Whenever there's an insider look put into anything that might not be grasped by the "common joe" it's hard to get invested. I love the cover though!

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the honest review. I like dance as long as there is singing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww! I'm bummed to hear that you didn't really love this one. I haven't read it yet, but there ARE some awesomely amazing dance books out there. When the Stars Go Blue by Caridad Ferrer comes immediately to mind, and that is one that I HIGHLY recommend to EVERYONE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Save The Last Dance was THE BUSINESS. i love it so much.

    sometimes, just sometimes, i'm in the mood for this type of book. i'll keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DANT IT. I was sooo hoping this would be great. Crap. What now? Not sure if I'll still read it. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm kinda sad about this book. I picked it up at BEA and I've heard it just doesn't live up to expectations. I don't know that I'm inclined to read it now. :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...