Thursday, November 17, 2011

Kiss It by Erin Downing Review

Kiss It
By Erin Downing

June 15, 2010
Simon Pulse, 288 pages
Source: Publisher

Chastity, aka Chaz, is a high school senior who cannot wait to flee her closed-minded, constricting small town.

One night at the beginning of winter break when a stranger enters the restaurant where Chaz works, she is instantly taken with him—and his sexy body. Sebastian is staying with his dad for the holidays, and over the course of the break, from helping her cope with an unexpected crisis at home and a friend’s accidental pregnancy to sending her virginity to a point of no return, Sebastian changes Chaz’s life forever.

Intelligent and entertaining, Kiss It is a tribute to the unexpected thrills of regular life.


— Amazon.com description

When we were in New York, Carla grabbed this book, essentially threw it at me, and yelled: “READ THIS.” I’m never one to say no to anyone shoving a book into my hands, let alone Carla, so I didn’t think twice. And, ahahaha, this is such a Carla book.

Basically, I see this book as a modern take on Forever by Judy Blume – which is to say it has a clear theme of sex and its meaning, consequences and complications.

Sure, it’s a little heavy-handed, but getting comfortable talking about these issues is crazy important for teens, even if they’re not dealing with them firsthand. Plus, the main character was crazy likable. She’s funny and assertive, the type of girl I like to read about.

Anyone wanting to read an issues book with a humorous slant should give Kiss It a try – especially teens and librarians/teachers. This book may be controversial to some, but I think it’s also important to all.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

6 comments:

  1. goooooooood times lady!!! i miss youuuuuuu <3 also i find it really hysterical that i was eyeing that full bookcase and like ohhh i like to look of this (her, me and you) and the publicist was like "take whatever you want" and our heads whipped round to each other so fast it was like an outcut of the exorcist. and we were all "RLY? SRSLY? RLLLLYYYYY?" so i grabbed this and was like READ THIS! our lives are quite fun sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Carla BAHAHA we are greedy little bastards. MEMORIES! Seriously, that week with you ladies = instalove!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, my friends and I passed around Forever when we were teens. Remember finding it semi informative ;) Would love to see an updated version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds interesting! I hadn't heard of it before, but I love the title. It reminds me of being terribly witty and clever in Jr. High... ... ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pulled this off the shelf at the library once and thought "oooh how adorable!" and then I put it back because I already had more books than I'd read before the due date :P Maybe I'll have to check it out though :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh! I remember that at BEA. Yo, Carla recs are LEGIT! I still have my copy of Kiss It in my TBR :-( Have to move it up soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...