Monday, November 21, 2011

Young Adult Book Holiday Gift Guide

Have a YA reader in your life? Don't know what to buy? FEAR NOT, ANNA IS HERE!

Gift Cards


Okay, I'm not going to lie, any book lover would be very happy to have an Amazon or Barnes & Noble gift card. You might worry it's impersonal, but truly all we want is money for books, books, books galore! Oh sweet Santa, it doesn't get better than book money!

Bonus points if you score gift cards to our local indie book store.


Reading also goes well with coffee, so Starbucks gift cards are great too.

Box Sets


For younger girl readers: 
The Anne of Green Gables books by Lucy Maud Montomgery. Middle-grade romantics will love.


For boys: 
Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. But girls like it too, don't get me wrong. Bonus: It's in a treasure chest-y thing! So cool!


For paranormal fans: 
The Wolves of Mercy Falls series by Maggie Stiefvater. Werewolves done right!


For Potterphiles: 
The entire Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. Who wouldn't want to own this beautiful set? Again, treasure chest. So fun!


For Twilight fans: 
Ready to move on to the next thing? Try the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead.

Standalone Books


Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (for romantics)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (for thrill-seekers)
If I Stay by Gayle Forman (for the more serious type)
Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan (for a holiday theme)

These are just some of my faves that I think may have universal appeal. But if you're giving a book, pick one that meant something to you, a story you feel compelled to share. It's much more meaningful to share the emotion behind a book choice rather than just a book itself.


Also: Any of the Penguin hardcover classics designed by Coralie Bickford-Smith would make for a beautiful gift. They are gorgeous!

For Fun








Visit Etsy and find a crafter who will put a line from your loved ones favorite book onto a piece of jewelry. Ginger did this for me for my birthday (quote from Sloppy Firsts) and I burst into tears when I opened it. A good present, to say the least.


This bookmark won't slip out. Plus, align the finger to mark the exact spot you left off. Fun!


A Mockingjay pin from The Hunger Games!


Bookstop. Look, Ma, no hands!

Multimedia








Soundtracks
DVDs from Masterpiece Theatre -- I haven't caught Downton Abbey yet (though I'm dying to), but I freak out every time an Austen or Brontë adaptation comes on PBS, so I'm assuming most other readers would too.

Big-Ticket Items


A Nook or Kindle -- I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Or a case for them! To see my favorite for my Kindle (comes with a light!), click here.


A trip to Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando -- OK, it's outlandish. But, eek, what a fun gift that'd be! See pics from my trip here.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

11 comments:

  1. Great gift guide! The bookmark is really cool and the etsy jewelry is such a thoughtful gift idea and so pretty, too! Also, totally drooling over those Penguin hardcover books. :)

    Jessica
    Lovely Literature

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty sure I am forwarding this post to all my family members who keep asking me, "what do you want for christmas??" haha. Seriously though that wrap around bookmark with the pointy finger is genius!! and I'm loving the necklace idea ;-) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. If someone gave me a trip to WWoHP, I'd be freaking out (in the best way possible!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that we are both nerds who went to Potter land. Isn't it the best??

    I LOVE the idea of having a book quote inscribed in a necklace. That is just lovely.

    Also, that bookmark with the pointer thingy is AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my whole family needs to see this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband took me to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter for Christmas last year...BEST. PRESENT. EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  7. those penguin covers are the business.

    and also, MOLESKINE til i die.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent suggestions! I have a few of these already on the make for family and friends. Nothing beats bookish gifts for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I could afford it I would buy every single person in the world that chest of Harry Potter books.

    And I seriously must have that pointy finger bookmark *goes to tell CW*

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, am I salivating from this list! Great compilation! I think I'll just have to treat myself to some of these cause I can't wait for others to do it for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Okay, I'm not going to lie, any book lover would be very happy to have an Amazon or Barnes & Noble gift card. You might worry it's impersonal, but truly all we want is money for books, books, books galore! Oh sweet Santa, it doesn't get better than book money!"

    SO TRUE. Especially since my library doesn't have a lot of the books I want to try.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...