Tuesday, December 6, 2011

My Top 10 Favorite Books from Childhood




It's Top 10 Tuesday (hosted at The Broke and the Bookish) and the topic is
Top 10 Childhood Faves

So, I’m not going to lie. I had a bit of a reading geek situation going on in my youth. SHOCKER. By the time I was in sixth grade, I almost exclusively read adult books. I suppose I’m making up for it now, eh?

Anyway, I was really into Dickens and Agatha Christie and Michael Crichton and Mary Higgins Clark before I even made it to junior high. So some of these are a little more adult than usual (check out that Gone with the Wind Cover! I read that when I was 11!), but I tried to keep it as youthful as possible...


1. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle – The science behind it all fascinated me. Think about it: This series was teaching kids about mitochondria. Mitochondria! Don’t see that too often in books. It cemented my love of sci-fi.

2. Sweet Valley series by Francine Pascal – I was more into Sweet Valley Twins, but like every girl in the ‘90s, I just couldn’t get enough of Jessica and Elizabeth (though good ole Liz was obvs my fave).

3. Baby-Sitters Club series by Ann M. Martin – The best part of this series? The MYSTERY books! They were twice as thick and always involved some sort of exotic vacation. I think I reread them all at least five times.

4. Harriet the Spy by Louis Fitzhugh – I wanted to be a spy. So. Bad.

5. The Giver by Lois Lowry – Dystopian, ILY.

6. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott – Oh that Laurie. The first book I read that featured a bad boy you were praying would turn out to be good. And a backstabbing biotch of a sister. I still hate you, Amy!

7. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery – Gilbert. What a stud.

8. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe – I spent an absurd amount of time as a child daydreaming about being shipwrecked.

9. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell – My mom made me read this. That Rhett Butler seemed AWFULLY abusive to me. But, then I saw the movie and I though Scarlett was the problem. I think I need to reread as an adult.

10. Matilda by Roald Dahl – That poor girl. A fellow book lover though! I could relate.

Anna Reads young adult book blog

18 comments:

  1. Oh, no! I definitely should have put The Giver on my list. I loved that book. :)

    My Top Ten :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I loved the Anne series when I was younger...I have a set of all 8! I didn't read The Giver until college, but it is a favorite. I grew up with the Babysitter's Club, and I always liked the Super Specials. They were also bigger (like the mysteries) and also involved vacations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne in Green Gables always makes me smile and omg how could I forget Babysitter's Club and Matilda.. I was like you though, when I was younger I was into more adult books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Gone With the Wind is on this list! So much love! Between my long term memory and the fact that I wasn't a big time reader in childhood I can't quite recall all of the books I loved. I do recall enjoying James and the Giant Peach, Charlotte's Web and Shel Silverstein's A Light in the Attic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must re-read Gone With The Wind as an adult. Completely different experience and Rhett is such a hottie! It's def. an adult book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I've only just picked up a copy of The Giver without realising it's basically a cult childrens classic. I can't wait to read it.

    My Top Ten is here if you'd like a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna, I also read Gone With the Wind when I was around 12 or 13. I'm actually hosting a readalong for it in January if you want to sign-up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Baby Sitters Club was the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. BABYSITTER'S CLUB REPRESENT. I loved Claudia. She was a nutball who loved Doritos and I can't say that I'm much different. That's pretty much the only of these books I've read. I did buy Anne of Green Gables recently and I feel like so many people have adored this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love most of your choices! Anne of Green Gables is one of my favorite series. But when I was a kid, I was all about BSC - my favorite was Stacey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! I had to edit mine to include Ralph S. Mouse because Beverly Cleary was so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also love many of those! I was reading VC Andrews at what was probably too young, but didn't read The Giver until I was in my 20s. I need to drag out a few of those books, including Little House!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for Harriet the Spy! That was on my list too :)

    Here's my post: http://geobobspinelli.blogspot.com/2011/12/top-ten-tuesday-childhood-nostalgia.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally forgot about Sweet Valley High! My mom still has all of my Baby-Sitters Club books... maybe we should do that for our next book club pick? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet Valley High FOREVER! i loved that book (and also the tv series) and there is no shame in that. none.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Somehow I forgot Roald Dahl when I was making my list. I loved Matilda and James and the Giant Peach and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and I'm sure there are even more that I'm *still* forgetting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rhett is kind of a dick in the books, like when he pushes her down the stairs and she loses the baby.

    ROALD DAHL, holla!!!!

    I loved the thick mystery BSC books too, omg omg and THE SUPER SPECIALS where they went on trips to like the Jersey Shore bahahaha and Disney world. Dude those books rocked.

    AND OMFG SWEET VALLEY HIGH. The book crack of my youth!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...